Monday, June 19, 2006

To God Be the Glory! Colorado, Stand Up for This Man!

Still reading on the same search that brought me to Catholic Thinker, and have found something that has NOT been covered by the main stream media (surprise, surprise!?) which is one of the most POWERFUL stories of Gianna Jessen's career, as well as one brave, brave legislator!

This one was found on Catholic Pillow Fight, one of the blogs I have bookmarked and often read, though it has been awhile since I got to read all of the blogs I have enjoyed. Tony has given his award to Ted Harvey, a member of the Colorado State House of Representatives. The story of this is in the May 9, 2006 issue of the Denver Post, and HIS version of the complete story is on his website.

He begins by telling us how it came to pass that Gianna sang the National Anthem that day, and how he introduced her. It is important that you read his words. He ends like this:

Members, today we are going to recognize the 90th anniversary of Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood,”

BANG! The gavel came down.

Just as I was finishing the last sentence of my speech…The climax of the morning…The Speaker of the House gaveled me down and said, “Representative Harvey, I will allow you to continue your introduction but not for the purposes of debating a measure now pending before the House.”

At which point I said,

“Mr. Speaker I understand, I just wanted to put a face to what we are celebrating today”.

Silence…Deafening silence.

I then walked back to my chair shaking like a leaf. The Democrats wouldn’t look at me…they were fuming. It was beautiful. I have been in the legislature for five tough years and this made it all worthwhile.

The House Majority Leader wouldn’t talk to me the rest of the day.

Was it because I introduced an abortion survivor, or was it because we touched her soul? She could congratulate an inspirational cerebral palsy victim and advocate, but was outraged when she discovered that the person she congratulated was also an abortion survivor.

The headline in the Denver Post the next day read Abortion Jab Earns Rebuke. The Majority Leader is quoted as saying "I think it was amazingly rude to use a human being as an example of his personal politics,"

Yes Representative Madden, Gianna Jessen is a human being. She was when she was in her mother’s womb and she was when she sang the National Anthem on the Floor of the Colorado House of Representatives.

The paper went on to quote Gianna Jessen, stating she was glad Harvey told her story.
"We need to discuss the humanity of it. I'm glad to be able to speak up for children in the womb," she said. "If abortion is about women's rights, where were my rights?"

Leslie Hanks, one of the matriarchs of the pro-life movement in Colorado, was in the House Chamber that morning and told me that it was the single greatest moment she had witnessed in the State Legislature in the 20 years that she’d been lobbying in the Capitol.

All I can say is, “Glory to God!” He orchestrated it all, every minute of it, and I was so honored to have been chosen to play a part. May we all continue to be filled with and to fight for the passion of our Lord Jesus Christ!

In His service,

Ted Harvey
Assistant Minority Leader
Colorado House of Representatives


Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Oh wow. That gave me chills. SO amazing!!!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

I LOVED it! That took courage, and hopefully, some hearts will change as a result!

God bless!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 6:23:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home