Saturday, May 06, 2006

Terri Schiavo: A Life That Mattered and Still Matters


“Our family’s made a lot of mistakes,” write Bob and Mary Schindler, “but the one thing we don’t do is lie.” Most of you will recognize Bob and Mary as the parents of Terri Schindler-Schiavo. Terri is the Florida woman whose husband starved her to death with the permission of the Florida judiciary.





Pete Vere, JCL reviews the book by the Schindler family, "A Life That Matters: The Legacy of Terri Schiavo", after having read it. While watching his daughter play, he finds himself wondering "What if this were my daughter?"....

It is a question many have asked over the years of watching this family's struggle to keep their disabled family member alive. Terri was not dying when she was starved and dehydrated to death, nor was she on any machines to 'prolong her life'.

“Bob and I believe that God put Terri on earth to serve as a beacon,” Mary explains near the beginning of the book, “that she was taken from us so that others who suffer Terri’s plight will not be taken from those who love them.” I recommend this book to anyone concerned with the growing push to legalize euthanasia.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill Gnade said...

WICatholic,

Thanks for keeping this story in the forefront. It should never go away. I touched on it here in relation to a comment (a very mean one) made by the founder of the left's (and the WWW's) most popular blog, Daily Kos.

And since you and I first connected as a result of a heartbreaking Boston story, did you see this Boston story? I could not keep myself from writing about it.

Peace.

BG

PS. A couple of weeks ago I recommended a song for your son's wedding. I am eager to hear what song you finally chose.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 9:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

BG,

I found, and read, the one you were talking about, in Boston... oh, wow! I cannot imagine the grief of losing ONE son...I've often marveled at the Father's love for us that He would plan/know/approve of the death of His Only Begotten Son from all eternity, while The Son would know/agree/also approve, and willingly lay down His life for.... me.... God is so very merciful.

But for her to now have to go through it again! Oh, my! I cannot imagine... I just cannot begin to understand her pain.

Wow.... and I whimpered at what my life brought! Did I say WHIMPERED? Oh, no... I screamed, ranted, roared, whined... and often sat on the pity pot.

I look at Kai Leigh... I look at Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ of Nazareth... and I find myself falling so very short. I see so many having crosses for others to carry that make mine seem to be so very light...yet there was a time I cried out to Him... NO MORE! YOU PROMISED NO MORE THAN WE COULD HANDLE... NO MORE, PLEASE NO MORE!

And then I read your blog about her.... I am shamed.

May God bless her and her husband in ways we cannot begin to ask for....... because we simply cannot see what good He can bring out of this....

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:22:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Oops! I apologize for the errant link. Here is what I meant:

A Central (Yet Not Comedic) Irony

Now I hope this one works!

Blessings!

BG

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 5:56:00 AM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

That one I had not found... but I did find this one, and thought that was one of the two you meant...

Just read this story in the Boston Herald of a mother who has lost her second son to violence
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=138333

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 9:03:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home