Monday, January 23, 2006

They might have done this years ago, but he already had a wife

"They might have done this years ago, but he already had a wife."



So begins a news article announcing the fact that Michael Schiavo and Jodi have applied for a marriage license. Though this is the longest 'intimate relationship' he has had while married to Terri, it was not the first, as he testified in court and in deposition under oath.

When one considers that the vows taken on our wedding day are solemn, and are meant to be upheld just as they are stated, the above statement says it all.

I have no patience for adultery. I have less patience when it is justified that 'he/she had a right to get on with his/her life' while their spouse is ill. Though I dislike no fault divorce immensely, it is an option, and it is much more honest than adultery for any reason.

Just as murder of a spouse is unacceptable, so is 'the killing' of a marriage in this way. I have more respect for a person who says I want out (though that does not mean APPROVAL of the actions) than I do of someone who gets out with another already taking the place of the spouse. That action often means two marriages are being destroyed.

I have even less patience for those who try to excuse and justify adultery of others.

Those vows were not until one becomes ill, nor until one becomes disabled. The vows were in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, for better, for worse, until death of one of the spouses.

Which part of them did you not understand when you said them in front of God and mankind?

If you want to break those vows, then don't use another human being to justify your own choices and actions. Just as getting married is a choice, adultery is a choice. This 'soul mate' thinking of today's society is just more excusing one's behavior.

Love is a choice. Committment is a choice. Forgiveness is a choice. And so is adultery.

Sin is sin no matter what the reasons are, including the long-term illness or disability of a mate.

As Archbishop Fulton J Sheen said so very clearly,
"Right is still right if nobody is right,
and wrong is still wrong if everybody is wrong,"


The bridegroom says:

I, N., take you, N., to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

The bride says: I, N., take you, N., to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

Or: "I, ________, take you ______, for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."

Rings:

N., take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.


ADDENDUM

Fox News this AM (Mon Jan 23, 2006) has announced that Michael Schiavo and Jodi Centoze were married Saturday. You can read all about it here and here.


Related Tags: ,

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger WI Catholic said...

You are welcome! And I will.

God bless!

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 7:09:00 PM CST  
Blogger airforcewife said...

I formed my own opinions about Michael Schiavo during the drawn out death of his wife. Not good ones, either.

But I REALLY have to wonder about a woman who will live with a man, have his children, and act as his wife all the while knowing that he is married to another woman whose place cannot be taken until she dies.

How vulturistic.

I try very hard not to judge, but as much as I struggle with that I am certainly revolted.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 2:58:00 PM CST  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

OH, do I hear you! I have thought the same thing for so long! I hear "But she loves him!" and other equally inane statements.

I cannot understand how women can devalue themselves that much.

God bless, AirForceWife!! Come again!

Oh, and I have a relative out there who lives in the area of Queen of Apostles (bought a place in a nearby town about two years ago.)

Friday, January 27, 2006 at 12:04:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home