Wednesday, June 20, 2007

touching article: Can't you give her a needle?

The full story came in this email, but it is too long, including comments, to print on my blog. Those comments, however, are important, for the most part. They add a LOT to this story, especially Nigel's, and Dr Paul Byrne's...but also Sydney, Olivia, Denise, and Nwachukwu....

God bless!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: nancyvalko
Date: Jun 19, 2007 10:19 PM


Frank Brennan | Friday, 15 June 2007

Can't you give her a needle?

A palliative care physician remembers an unexpected request from the husband of a dying patient.
I had met her at the main hospital. She had metastatic colorectal cancer. She had received extensive chemotherapy. Her disease had progressed and her options were rapidly diminishing. She was becoming thinner. I talked to her about palliative care and what the hospice had to offer. She agreed to come over to the hospice.

Later that week I saw her there. She was in a single room. She lay weakly. The bed covers seemed too big for her. Her mouth was dry. She spoke slowly. After discussing her symptoms I said to her that I thought her time was approaching. She said, "Well, what can I say?" I asked her what was the hardest aspect of her illness. She replied, "Leaving my husband".

Please do go to the link to finish this article!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home