Thursday, November 23, 2006

Mom, A Turkey, and Gratitude for Walmart

Ya know, with all the talk about Walmart lately, I have to tell you all that I am VERY grateful for them today.

I walked out into my kitchen earlier today, and realized that the turkey that my son and I bought yesterday was still sitting where we had put it when we got home, and it is not to be cooked until tomorrow. It was a cool room temperature already, and probably had been for most of the day! While I think that it would probably still be ok, I do not want to take the chance of making my entire family ill tomorrow. (This was over 24 hours out at room temp.)

I have called several places, and all are closed.... but both Walmarts in our area are open 24 hours.

I told the women who answered the phone that though this is not fun for them, I am thankful!

I know what it is like to have to work holidays. So I won't get into a discussion about that aspect of this. I worked nearly every Thanksgiving Day for the past twenty years, because my kids were often with their Dad's family. I usually worked the night shift, and went to any family events tired. I have also worked 'every other' one over the years for the entire time I have worked in health care, including after graduating from Dental Hygiene school.

So I know that many are not happy about being 'forced' to work today...but I am VERY thankful, VERY grateful for Walmart today. If not for them, we would be turkeyless tomorrow because of my own stupidity and carelessness.

I am going to Walmart in a few minutes, then to my Mom's for awhile. I have to remind her that we are coming tomorrow for that turkey dinner. And I will share with her that her daughter is also forgetful.

Oh, the joys of growing old.... what a 'turkey' ...

God bless.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home