Thursday, February 23, 2006

What's A Mother To Do???

In the comments section, my son left a message that is causing some to wonder...

i dont mean to toot my own horn at all cause like i said its from the mother that was always there for me no matter what. (what other mom around the age of mid 4*cough*ties would take their son to Ozzfest concert cause of a broken promise?)

so, here is the story....

My son likes Ozzie ( I don't, not at all, never liked that kind of music... few kinds of music I don't like, but heavy metal is one....). He asked if he could go to a concert in southern Wisconsin if he paid for the tickets.

As he was only seventeen, I told him that he had to find a ride there with an adult because it was just too far for him to drive, to a strange place none of them had ever been to before. There would be much too much traffic near the open air concert place, etc.
He did not like this at first, but finally called his other parent, and asked him if HE would take them if my son bought a ticket for him. His Dad agreed, and my son was on top of the world, for more reasons than one....not necessary to go into that aspect of this story.

He does a countdown to Day of Concert. He makes plans, his girlfriend is going with him. Needless to say, he is excited. He is thrilled. He cannot wait.... he is seventeen, ya know?

Then comes the day...and a phone call... it is raining just a little by us... Dad doesn't think that they should go...parking will be terrible on the soaked grass...they will get wet.... it will be cold... etc. Many excuses.

My son was devastated --angry-- HURT....

What's a mother to do? Those tickets were expensive! He had paid for them out of his own pocket! The rain was miniscule in both his mind, AND in reality!

So I said... IF I drive, do I HAVE TO GO INTO THE CONCERT?????

( I really cannot stand this music...and I am short... VERY short... in fact, I just measured myself at the doctor's office and found out I am not quite 4' 11"--LOST some! When those concert goers stand up, which is the entire concert... I can see NOTHING. )

He said no... you don't have to go in, while looking at me in disbelief. I really do not think that he ever dreamt he would hear the next words out of my mouth, as I said... Ok, then I will take you, and I will take something to read.....

We went. I parked. They walked into the open air concert area. I sat in the car, often running the engine to get the benefit of the air conditioner. Some guys near me took pity on this ol lady and brought me a COLD SODA.... as they cooked their brats, etc.

I just grinned. I think that my presence surprised THEM, too.

I heard the concert. Who could MISS it? I was tremendously glad that I was not closer, as it had to be VERY loud near that stage! I did the best I could to shut out the language... and when it ended, my son and his gf came back to the car... grinning from ear to ear.

A few days later, his Dad called and managed to say again that he was sorry that my son had to miss the concert. Kev said... I didn't. Mom took us...and let that sink in.

As shocked as my son was, I think his Dad was more so!

But you see... you just do NOT break promises to a kid. You just do NOT break promises, period, unless a death or illness prevents it from being kept, someone's life/health can be jeopardized by fulfilling it, OR if the promise is illegal or immoral to begin with.

A promise was made. I had given my word that he could go if he got the tickets and if he got an adult driver to take him. He had done everything he had been told to do.

A promise was broken.

A promise had to be kept by someone. I was the only someone who could keep it for the other half of the parental configuration....he was still only seventeen, and it was still too far for him to go alone in my car....

Oh, and the weather??

As I said, it was not raining hard when the promise was broken... the sun came out and the day was BEAUTIFUL. No mud. No parking problems in the grass.... they never got wet other than from sweat....

Wonder if his Dad learned anything about keeping promises?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home