Monday, November 07, 2005

National Adoption Month Part 2

Over the course of the past year, I have touched on adoption in several different ways, both general comments and personal comments. I may have missed some, but each gives a slightly different glimpse into the world of adoption.

I wrote an open letter to Michael Reagan about his book "TWICE ADOPTED".

I wrote an ANGRY open letter about the media planning on investigating the adoptions of Chief Justice John Roberts' children that I titled 'HOW DARE THEY?"

I wrote about an example of how controlling people can become when dealing with adoptees and their birthfamilies. I have the story in my email safely tucked away for reference, as it now costs money to read it at the website.

A special day that most do not even know about is Birthmother's Day, quietly celebrated by many who wish that it could be celebrated differently. It is sometimes celebrated by adoptees, also, who wish that they could celebrate it differently, too. It is also celebrated by many adoptive mothers for so many reasons, including gratefulness, fully realizing that they themselves would not be celebrating Mother's Day the next day without there being a birthother to remember.

I wrote about a special family I know of that has adopted special needs children (scroll down to consider Zach.... ). There are many such families out there, God bless them!

I wrote about a more recent conversation at work about abortion in rape cases... for the sins of the father....

And I wrote about Two Women becoming Mothers thirty years ago...

And in a letter to my father in law, I expressed my love for his mom in the way she and all of his family have accepted our children as... our children.


I remember when we wanted kids, and had so many infertility problems, and (dh) was agreeable to go the adoption route. Some said that they could not do that, that they could not accept adopted children as their own. Some simply refused to go through the study involved. But we were lucky, because our children, all three of them, were NEVER treated as though they did not belong.

I loved your Dad, and your Mother immensely. Your Dad did not have the chance to meet any of our kids. Your Mom did. I will never forget her, ( _____). She just accepted them, from a generation that often did NOT. When we brought our second daughter home, and then took her over to see Great-Grandma E___.... her comment to me that day sealed her in my heart forever. She held our child, looked at me and said... "I was so hoping that this time you would get a boy, to carry on the (last) name!"

To so totally accept my girls in that way was so special to me, as it settled once and for all that our children WERE our children, not just in our eyes, but in the extended family's as well. Not once did I ever feel that you or anyone in our family felt any differently. I missed your mother when she died, (____), almost as much as (dh) missed your Dad. I think her prayers were answered in a very special way when our son was born... to carry on the (last) name.

Some of my own family recently told me that their kids had been 'surprised' to realize that my daughters were adopted after having grown up with them, because, in spite of the openness we have about the formation and foundation of our family, they NEVER realized that the girls were adopted!

That blows away the fears some have of adoptees being second rate, not really part of the family, etc. My kids are simply and forever.... their cousins. All three of them.


God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home