Friday, September 09, 2005

Sacrificial Love

I am listening to Archbishop Fulton J Sheen's talk on Marriage Problems and recalling what I have learned about the Catholic teachings on Marriage (the real teaching, not the 'feel good' garbage many pass out today..that Marriage is indissoluble, til death parts the couple. That they become One... that God hates divorce) as well as the teachings on Suffering. It brought back the recent sermon "Following Christ Means Sacrifice" that I put here the other day.

And he speaks of Elizabeth Leseur and her husband Felix, who became converted and a priest after her death when he found her journal and read it. Archbishop Sheen was present for at least one retreat given by Fr Felix Leseur, who at times spoke of his wife during talks at retreats he gave.

Marriage is not easy, it is not meant to be roses. But we are called to be instruments in the salvation of our spouse. Dumping them via easy no fault forced unilateral divorce means turning our back on that vocation. Archbishop Sheen has given an excellent teaching, which, in conjunction with that sermon of Fr Dennis Kleinmann, may be YOUR call to salvation.

It is called Sacrificial Love.

God bless!

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
~~Jesus Christ in John 15:12-13

Choose this day whom you will serve, but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
~~Joshua 24:15

Our vows:
The groom says:I (...), take you (...) to be my wife.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

The bride says:I (...), take you (...) to be my husband.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.


"Right is still right if nobody is right,
and wrong is still wrong if everybody is wrong,"
Archbishop Fulton J Sheen author of The Life of Christ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home