Saturday, July 12, 2008

TONY SNOW, My Hero, DIES AT 53


I woke to the sound of my cell phone delivering a message from my son about the probability of another new tooth for my little grandchild.

I debated for a very short time curling up under the covers and returning to sleep, but decided instead to get up and opt for possibly taking a nap later on today. I got myself a cup of my ice cold French vanilla coffee (homemade 'Frappacino'), and turned on my computer. I saw that I had new mail at a yahoo addy, and double-clicked on the little mail icon, and saw the announcement...and I stopped.

I will miss him.
I liked him, a lot.
I did not know him, but I felt like I did in many ways.
I enjoyed watching and listening to him for years.

I remember the first announcement of his bout with cancer. I remember the announcement that it had returned. I was saddened when he chose to leave the White House Press Secretary position he had held for such a relatively short time, and thought...this is to spend more time with his family.... and stopped thinking.

When my own diagnosis came in, Tony Snow became not only one of my favorite news casters; he became my hero. (Other parts of my own journey are here, here, here, here, and here)

In reading about the announcement of his death, I came across a page of quotes from some who knew him in his professional life. The one statement that was closest to my own opinion of him was:

"Tony Snow was a gentleman."

— FOX News Chief Washington Correspondent Jim Angle

The second:

"Churchill said, 'I like a man who grins when he fights,' and that was Tony Snow. For 35 years, as a writer, broadcaster and spokesman, he fought fiercely for what he believed in, and he did it with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. His loss is a loss for our country. ... Despite everything Tony did and achieved in life, he never forgot his hometown roots or those who grew up with him. He was a proud son of Cincinnati, and I will miss him."

— House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio


I did not know him personally, and never tried to reach him privately to wish him the best in his fight or to let him know that I was praying for him. But I did know him in his chosen profession, and those two statements are a summary of my own observations about him.

Farewell, my hero.

Husband of Jill. Father of three. So young. May he rest in peace.

God bless!

Tony Snow Dies at 53


Former White House press secretary and FOX News anchor Tony Snow dies after losing long bout with cancer

VIDEO: Brit Hume on Life of Tony Snow
FOX FACTS: Tony Snow's Battle With Cancer
FOX FORUM: A Man Who Loved His Family

From Yahoo news:

Former Bush press secretary Tony Snow dies
Slideshow: Tony Snow

From CNN:

Former Bush spokesman Tony Snow dies

'A tremendously decent human being'
Remembering Tony Snow in pictures

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godspeed, Mr Snow.

I did not know you but I was impressed by you whenever I heard or saw you. We were all blessed by your presence through your demeanor.

You are missed.


Karl

Saturday, July 12, 2008 at 10:24:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Amen, Karl, Amen.

God bless!

Saturday, July 12, 2008 at 10:36:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home