Monday, July 02, 2007

Update on WI Catholic's Journey

I met the Oncologist, Dr Goggins, today with my oldest daughter. Dr asked me if she is my GRAND DAUGHTER!!! ARGH!

I don't think so... grin.

He put the biggie right on the table, right away... No chemo. 95% chance it is ended now, 5% chance of recurrence...thank God. He said Dr Flanagan was right.

He wrote everything he said down as he said it! I have a copy of the notes, and that is really a big help. I am not all that familiar with the terminology of oncology myself.

Stage 1, but because Dr Flanagan only took seven lymph nodes, criteria says 12, or upgrade by one Stage, so on paper, I am Stage 1, but considered Stage 2.

It did go into the muscle some, but not ( cannot think of the word he used, but meaning it did not go fully around the area of the colon.. circumference is part of the root of the word he used...)


If you know the terms, it is
T= tumor size and invasion= T2
N= Nodal status = 7 lymph nodes, non-positive= N (zero) 0
M= Metastases (spread) + Mx
  • only 7 lymph nodes (concern)
  • surface ulceration (concern)
  • Grade 2 colon cancer
  • Non-circumferential (GOOD) OH... THAT is the word!
Recommendations:
Follow-up for five years
  • First year, see him every three months for check up and Labs (CEA level for tumor markers, liver tests, blood counts, kidney function)
  • Second year, see him every four months as above
  • Years 3-5, see him every six months as above
  • Colonoscopy in one year, if OK, will be longer time interval, if not, a repeat in one year.

I can handle "Go Lightly" once a year... I was afraid it would be every three months!

THANK YOU all for the prayers, the flowers, the cards, the concern! It was a good report, and I was MUCH relieved to hear it...

God bless!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home