Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jessie Davis' Mom Has My Admiration

Bobby Cutts was handed a fifty seven year prison term (BEFORE he can even begin to qualify for any probation, he must serve the entire 57 yrs) this afternoon. I am glad that the jury did not vote for the death sentence, and think that this sentence will be much harder for a former police man to serve.

I was impressed with the Judge, and his explanation of the sentence. I was also very impressed by his victim's mother! I am not sure that I would be able to do as she did...just yet. Oh, I would want to, but I just am not so very sure that I would have the ability to choose to let go of anger at someone who had deliberately murdered my child and grandchild.

But forgiveness IS a choice, not a feeling. Feelings follow that choice.


The mother of the pregnant Ohio woman killed by former police officer Bobby Cutts Jr.
told him minutes after a jury spared him the death penalty that she had already forgiven him
and she hoped he would one day get out of jail.

"I do forgive you," Jessie Davis' mom Patty Porter told Cutts as he sat in the courtroom,
adding that it was her faith in God that helped her do so. "I hope you can hold your son,
and I hope I can raise him to forgive you."

"He knows what you did. You would not believe the stories he's told us."


As I heard her say this, all I could think of is what this man had done to not only the mother of his daughter, and his pre-born (nearly ready to BE born) daughter, but also to his son! Thank God that he did not harm that child as well, or he may not have yet been found guilty! But ... how is this going to affect this little boy who told the police that Daddy's mad, Mommy's crying, Mommy broke the table, Mommy's in the rug.... He has lost two parents.

Davis' mother then turned to the judge and asked that the man who killed

her daughter and their unborn baby girl

walk free one day.

"Please show mercy on him so he can raise his son," she pleaded.


He has gained a lot in having this woman raise him, and Bobby Cutts needs to hear her words over and over, especially to remind him what he did to that little boy.


May God have Mercy on his (Bobby Cutts') soul.

He was eligible for the death penalty NOT for the death of Jessie Davis, but for the death of his not yet born daughter!
That is what impressed me most about this jury on the day that the verdicts were read... his daughter counted to them, she was real to them, and the word 'aggravated murder' was fitting. I was surprised that the same verdict was not reached about Jessie's murder, as well. The ramifications of an aggravated murder verdict for this baby, rather than for her mother is staggering, in my humble opinion. In Lacy and Connor Peterson's verdict, both guilty verdicts were of equal value, if my memory is correct.

In this one, they found him guilty of the murder of both Jessie and Chloe, but they found that the murder of the baby was especially heinous! That speaks volumes.....

For the aggravated murder charge in the death of the unborn baby, the judge accepted the jury's recommendation of life in prison with parole eligibility after 30 years.

The additional years without parole that were tacked on to Cutts' sentence were for charges of murder in Davis' death, abuse of a corpse, burglary and child endangering for leaving Blake Davis alone.

For the aggravated murder charge in the death of the unborn baby,
the jury chose among these possible sentence recommendations:
the death penalty, life in prison without parole or life with parole eligibility after 20, 25 or 30 years.

Jurors found him not guilty of aggravated murder in the death of Davis
but convicted him of a lesser charge of murder in her death.

Cutts, who also was convicted of abuse of a corpse, burglary and child endangering for leaving Blake Davis alone, resigned as a patrolman from the Canton police department.



God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home