Sunday, December 31, 2006

President Gerald R Ford-- May He Rest in Peace

I remember John F Kennedy's funeral. I remember Jackie in her veil, Caroline standing by Mom, John-John saluting, the riderless horse, etc.

I remember Reagan's funeral. My grandson and I arrived in DC to hear the news that he had passed away. We chose to watch on TV, rather than try to see anything in the long lines of people that were in the area at that time of year. I remember Nancy saying good bye to her husband when they reached his final resting place.

Both were very impressive funerals.

But I was most impressed by today's coverage of former President Gerald Ford. Elegant, profound, much more simple, but oh, so very filled with personal symbolism!

The stop at the WWII Memorial was very moving. Seeing the veterans, the military women , and the Eagle Scouts (though they MUST have been cold!!) to honor him as well as the lights of the memorial itself was enough to bring tears to my eyes. But watching the nervousness of the bos'n mate as he prepared to pipe him ashore... something he has probably done many times in his career, but NEVER for a WWII vet who'd nearly died in the war, and gone on to become the 38th President of the USA... wow... I could just FEEL the desire to do it perfectly--his personal salute to the man.

That few minutes where the hearse pulled over will be part of my memory forever.

I remember a much younger Betty Ford and Gerald Ford, and I respected the man even more after they openly admitted to her drug and alcohol dependency. I know how many men leave their wives instead of standing by them, even aiding in the recovery by joining her in sobriety though he had no problem.

I remember my own mother saying good bye to her husband at the side of the casket, and could not imagine it needing to be so very public as it has been for our First Ladies!

But the rest of the State Funeral today is what impressed me, too. To enter the Capital Building on the House Side, and pause there with the Speaker's seat in the background was symbolic of the years of service he did there.

I was particularly moved by Vice President Cheney's talk.

Seeing Betty Ford so frail is very hard right now, at this time of my life, because of our own Mom's fragility.

Gerald Ford, May you rest in peace. My prayers are with your family.

God bless!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home