Sunday, October 08, 2006

Forgiveness is a Choice

"Forgiveness is a Choice" was a resounding statement made on Greta Van Susteren's program last night by a gentleman who used to be part of the Amish community recently hit by murder of one of the most heinous kinds in their tiny one room schoolhouse.

Not only spoken, but demonstrated.

As the Amish community mourned the loss of their children, and pray for the healing of five more young girls, they thought also of the family of the murderer, and attended HIS funeral. They have asked that his widow also be financially assisted by those who are reaching out to them.

Life presents us with many opportunities to learn this fact, but most operate on feelings. Over the years since I learned this fact, I have heard many saying "I will NEVER forgive!" "I CAN'T forgive!" "I WON'T forgive!" "I don't FEEL like forgiving..."

All choice words.

Most people operate under the false assumption that forgiveness means that the one forgiven 'gets off scot free'. Not true.

Many also believe that it means it may be misconstrued as 'approval' of what the person being forgiven has done. Not true.

After one of the most terrible things that happened in my life, IMHO, I attended a conference of others going through the same thing, and I heard a song that was written by one of the speakers. I bought it, but have long ago lost it. I can only remember parts of the refrain. I wish that I could find the woman who wrote it, and again hear her sing it. I wish I had all of the words to give you.  I believe her name was LYNNE WILFORD.

Essentially, what she said was that she did not approve or condone what was done,

"But, Like the Lord, On the Cross... I forgive."

Forgiveness, like Love, is a choice. Without making that choice, we often become bitter and angry, hurting not only ourselves, but everyone around us. We 'dispose' of those who hurt us, often through divorce. Unforgiveness is a poison.

Feelings follow our choices. It may take time to work through them, and it may take repeated efforts to deal with everything that happens, but eventually our feeling follow our decisions.

Forgiveness is a choice.

We watched an entire community make just that choice this past week.

We watched healing for everyone, including the family left behind by the man who killed the young Amish girls when he turned that gun onto himself.

Without that healing, and that forgiveness... that family may never have felt love nor forgiveness again, in that community or anyplace else. Though his wife and children had nothing to do with his actions, without that choice, they would have taken on his guilt.

"LIKE THE LORD, ON THE CROSS, I FORGIVE".

God help us to learn this lesson quickly, before more lives are destroyed.

God bless.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home