Thursday, May 18, 2006

Today, Rehearsal... Tomorrow, the Wedding

I have been sitting here trying to put my thoughts into words, and have not been able to.

This afternoon, at four thirty (nearly promptly... sigh .. I was on time, his Dad wasn't... nor was the Groom, who had to test drive the bright yellow Humvee they rented as the Bridal vehicle...). (They were only about five minutes late... but it was HE who reminded me that Deacon meant PROMPTLY, not L**** Family Time, Mom.....lol).

My beautiful grand-daughter cried in the Narthex... not wanting to walk down the aisle...

She is the Flower Girl. Kev tried to warn Kate... Six years ago, her brother did the same thing at my middle child's wedding...only then it was DURING the wedding...and I had to run after him as he exited the Church in the front....yup, right down the aisle, holding the hand of one of the bridesmaids.... and straight out the side door!! In front of God and the whole Church, on the very day of the wedding... sooo cute he was!

Kev tried to warn Katie... We all tried to warn her.... tonight, she found out that we MIGHT be right!

We are praying, though. Grandson is ringbearer for this wedding, and this time, he is ten. And HE really wants to walk down that aisle this time. So he (good big brother) said to her... "Please? Won't you please walk with me? You don't have to look! You can just look at your basket..."

And she, trusting little sister said... "All right, Alie... I'll walk with you and just look at my basket and flowers...." I am hoping that she does NOT end up crying on the way down the aisle....


Just before they rehearsed walking through the Mass, the Deacon talked us all through it first.

I sat on one side of the Church, and my children's father sat on the other. The Deacon was leading our son, our baby, through the ceremony and Mass for tomorrow. He was talking about the three questions that he will ask them tomorrow before their wedding vows. He was speaking to us all, telling all of us about the three requirements for a Sacramental Marriage and reminding each of us of what WE were asked so long ago....Sacramental Marriage is one between two Baptized people.

These are things that people today 'claim' that they 'did not understand' on the day they themselves stood before the priest/minister and pronounced their wedding vows, usually when they want out of one marriage and into another.... justifying breaking their covenant.

He will ask them if they are making these promises (this Covenant) ... these vows, these oaths to each other willingly.

He will ask them if they understand the PERMANENCE of this action, that marriage is INDISSOLUBLE regardless of what man tries to do ...

He will ask them if they are open to Life, to having Children.

And he will ask them for real tomorrow once again, seriously, looking each of them in the eye, waiting for their individual "Yes!"

And their parents will be sitting within hearing distance... remembering their own vows. And I wonder about those who have chosen to walk out on theirs, what they will be thinking.... one in particular.

We had the Rehearsal Dinner after practice was over...and all are doing the last minute preparations. Tomorrow, bright and early, 'the girls' meet at the Bride's house to have our hair and make-up done... then to the Church at Noon for photos, and the Wedding at 2:30.

Tomorrow, my son, my baby, now a young man will become ONE with Katie.

And NO MAN, be he Judge or Attorney, Civil or Canon, or Tribunal Member can put them assunder.

Society likes to think that they can with no fault unilateral forced divorce. But there are a few honest Judges out there who have TOLD those in his courtroom that while his hands on earth are tied, and he has no choice but to follow man's law, and grant divorce... there is a HIGHER AUTHORITY who says that his ruling will truly mean nothing....

Matthew:
3: And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?"
4: He answered, "Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female,
5: and said, `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?
6: So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."

Mark:
6: But from the beginning of creation, `God made them male and female.'
7: `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
8: and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh.
9: What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."


Our vows:
The groom says:I (...), take you (...) to be my wife.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

The bride says:I (...), take you (...) to be my husband.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.



Update June 27, 2006 The Wedding


Related Tags: , , , , , , ,

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

I'm praying all goes well today! I can't imagine all of the emotions you'll be feeling between your son getting married and your husband being there so near to you. I hope his conscience really bothers him!

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 2:27:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home