Thursday, March 23, 2006

Terri -- Day 6

Terri's brother, Bobby Schindler spoke at the Arizona Right to Life last year. The full text of his talk can be found in segments here and here, part of the second half is something that I feel needs to be stressed, and stressed OFTEN! Bobby Schindler said:

The media decided what to report, what not to report, what to verify and what not to verify. I’m sure that during this five-year ordeal to save my sister not many of you knew that there were over a dozen local and national disability organizations that were supporting my sister’s right to life. That is because it was rarely, if ever reported. On the other hand, I’ve lost count how many times the press reported the statements of Michael’s attorney, George Felos, when he would complain that my family was backed by anti-abortionist, religious and right wing extremist – labeling my family as radicals.

The press refused to acknowledge the voice of the disability community because they did not want the public to recognize Terri as a woman with disabilities. However, advocates of the disabled knew the reality of what was happening to my sister, which was the purposeful killing of an innocent disabled woman whose only crime was unable to bring a spoon to her mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home