Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Emails

I have added a statement to my blog that gives notice to those who email me privately at this email addy. Please take note that any private email that is a result of my blog may be subject to being introduced here publically, with or without identification.

Because Mr K was not given that notice, I choose not to make all of his email public. At the same time, I do intend to blog about those who search the web and target Catholics.

From his words elsewhere: "For several years, I’d go to a particular website and debate with those there. Now my Ministry is writing articles. Every now and then, someone who is really interested in their salvation contacts me. Those are the ones that I feel blessed with an opportunity to help."

Mr K does more than that, apparently. He continues to seek out Catholics, now one on one, and wants to discuss. I did not contact him, in other words. He contacted me, based on my blog's title/profile.

Others do the same. In the past, these discussions are closed one sided proselytizing, with no real and honest discussion, simply aimed at a 'Catholic's salvation', 'proving' that we are a cult, and not Christian.

Without knowing my personal testimony, my personal story, my personal relationship with Jesus Christ, assumptions are made that I must be 'saved'.


Mr K has done just that:

The Bible tells us to reach out to the lost, and I am doing just that now. Won't you take the time to check me out?

I live in ____, so we can't be that far apart so that maybe we could continue in person to compare whose faith is the correct one.

He also sent along two websites that I can view if I choose to, and that can/will support HIS point of view. I answered his email without looking into these websites, not knowing, but suspecting that this was a former Catholic. When I answered his email, I also had no knowledge of his personal life.

After I sent my response to him, I went to one site, his blog, and found reference to Wisconsin Christian News, where I found his statement above in quotes. His blog, by the way, is simply a series of articles that he has written to prove to Catholics the falsehood of our Faith, and is not continued beyond those posted articles.

While I love and appreciate having discussions with my friends on our beliefs, on Scripture, and on our differences/similarities in Faith, I no longer do one on one 'prove it' kinds of discussions with those I do not know. I still find even here, in looking at his blog articles and his Q and A on Wis Christian News, that what Archbishop Sheen said long ago continues to apply:

There are not over a hundred people...who hate the Roman Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church.
- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen



I have responded to his email as gently as I can, as follows:

I think that if you read my blog instead of simply 'coming across it', you could eventually tell that I know Jesus Christ as my personal Saviour and Lord, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and that I am obedient to His Word. My life has been one of just that obedience.

I think that you are simply searching for someone to 'convert'. That conversion experience was mine long ago, and I have no intentions of leaving His Church.

I have Evangelical friends, Baptist friends, Non-denom friends, AOG friends and even a brother in law who know this fact and understand it. They all personally know me, and know that I am what you would call 'Born Again', and have been since I was a child.

I do not engage in intentional pre-planned and uninvited apologetical type discussions any longer. I have, in the past, on many yahoo groups, and in person, defended my Faith, only to find that the other persons are not really interested in discussing, but in proselytizing. Most arguments are based on the same things repeatedly. There are good websites out there for you to learn the Truth of what the Church REALLY teaches rather than what many think it teaches.

In personal life, as I come to know people, we often discuss our personal beliefs, our Faith differences, and in that way, I do continue to share my beliefs, my Faith, my core values.

I find that most people today pooh pooh Christ's words that speak about things that have happened in my life, and explain away His meaning in verses such as Matt 19, Mark 10, Luke 16:18, Matt 5. They justify following man's law on this topic, including my non-denom sister/brother in law.

I am aware of who you are. Long enough ago, I also lived in ________. I know/knew many K--s from the _ area, including M and L.

It would not be proper to 'continue in person', actually. I do not meet with men privately for any reason, including to discuss my Faith, and honestly have no interest in maintaining email discussions privately. You are welcome to read my blog and in comments, to contribute your views on the various topics there. This keeps any discussion 'public'. But again, I do not engage in long apologetic type discussions designed to denigrate the Church or our beliefs, even there.

I would simply point you to places to find your answers, and suggest that you begin with the Church Fathers, to anything by Archbishop Fulton J Sheen, to Marcus Grodi and Scott Hahn.

God bless!

WI Catholic (And no, I am not going to use my proper name. My blog has some personal information on it that would hurt certain family members-- as a result of divorce-- if I intentionally broadcast exactly who I am. Those who need to know already know who I am.)



Related Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean Heimann said...

You are certainly kind, considerate, and loving in your letter. I probably would have deleted the letter and then said a prayer for the person. You have more patience than I do.

God bless you,
Jean

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 at 10:23:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home