Monday, February 27, 2006

Catholic Olympians

Googling can lead to interesting stories of heroes and heroes in the making.

I wondered if I could learn anything about Catholic Olympians and have found a few interesting stories and websites. While there is no real way of knowing simply by reading one or two pieces about an individual online about how they really live their Faith, there is an underlying thread that ran through those I found tonight.

What happens when they don't win?

Patrick Quinn, former speed skater turned Luge competitor had this to say in an interview with Catholic Explorer's Paul Storer: (Note, the hyperlinks are the same story, the second at original site).....

Reflecting on his life experiences, Quinn said that his reliance on the Catholic faith shaped his career journey. And, his spirituality also helped him cope with the devastating sports losses. “It’s easy to have faith when you’re winning,” he reasoned. When he looks into the eyes of wife, Kathleen, and young daughter, Alaina, he realizes that Olympic glory isn’t really important. He mentioned that he recently took the 2-year-old youngster snow sledding for the first time. Speaking about the shared joy and love of the afternoon outing, he concluded, “I think that was my Olympics.”


Derek Parra, 2002 Olympic gold and silver medalist in men's speedskating

Parra said that “After the Olympics, I had a chance to reflect on all that had happened to me. I tell kids to have belief in themselves. I’m a 33-year-old roller-skater — I can make my dream come true. No matter what, your dream can come true. Believe in yourself. Have faith that God will put you on a path. Before, I was just a guy going around in circles.”

I personally will be adding him to my prayers ....

Battling the emotional stress of divorce and advancing age, Parra finished 19th in the men's 1,500 speed-skating event at Oval Lingotto Tuesday afternoon. His time was 1:48.54, well off the winning pace set by Italy's Enrico Fabris (1:45.97).

"Today I was 19th. Four years ago, I was first," he said. "But I raced the same, with all my heart, with everything I had.

"The most important thing for me was keeping my dignity and character on the way down, not being a poor sport, trying to go down the way I came up, with respect and character. I did the best I could."


Rebecca Dussault, a U.S. cross-country skier from Colorado

"My faith comes first," said Dussault. "Then I'm a family woman. Then I'm an athlete. That's how I find balance."

In another interview with Carol Glatz of Catholic News Service:

Dussault said that after all her races her son always asks her, "Did you win?" In the United States, she almost always won and he'd reply, smiling, "Good job, Mommy."

"But here (at the Olympics) when he asks 'Did you win' and I say 'No, I got 48th,' he still sees that I am still the same person" and that defeat has not shattered her world.

She said this attitude makes her a valuable role model for her son, to see that no matter what, "I still have faith, love and I still try."


Rebecca has a website here that has now been diverted to a newer site for her Olympic run.
That second site directs us to this website. The recurring thread that runs in interviews and her website IS that Faith, Family, and THEN sports are her priorities. She also has a devotion to a man who lived in Turin long ago, serving the poor of the region, dying at the age of 25,
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, born in Turin in 1901 and beatified by Pope John Paul II May 20, 1990.



And who is this Pier Giorgio Frassati?

A young man who any parent would be proud to call their own, who surprised both of his parents by those who came to mourn him after his untimely death, because they had no idea of how many lives he had touched, or how. A man whose live can be emulated by anyone who chooses love over self.

God bless you!



Related Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home