Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rosa Parks--May She Rest in Peace


Rosa Parks smiles during a Capitol Hill ceremony where Mrs. Parks was honored with the Congressional Gold Medal Tuesday, June 15, 1999, in Washington. Parks, whose refusal to give up her bus seat to a white man sparked the modern civil rights movement, died Monday Oct. 24, 2005. She was 92. (AP Photo/Khue Bui)


My comment:

Rosa Parks died yesterday of natural causes in her home at the age of 92. I remember studying about her in school, and reading about her in newspapers, though I was really almost too young to remember the actual event that propelled her into national fame.

I always admired her courage, and wondered if I would ever have the guts to stay seated in those times had I been in her situation. I always thought she was an attractive, intelligent woman when I heard her speak, or read about her. She did not plan to be famous, but she handled it with grace.

She had simply done what she felt needed to be done at the time. I doubt very much that she EVER anticipated the outcome of her one-woman stand! But she had courage to act in spite of what fear she may have had at the time.

She reminded me of Harriet Tubman (The Underground Railroad) in some ways, though her fame was not at all the same.

God bless you, Rosa Parks! May you rest in peace!

2 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Oh, how sad. I didn't know she'd died. :( I will say a prayer for her.

On another note, I am in desperate need of your help, WI. Would you mind surfing over to my blog and giving me your thoughts on my latest pregnancy scare? (I blogged a few different entries about it...the latest being "so confused")

Thank you!

God Bless,
Dawn

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 at 8:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

On my way.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 at 10:02:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home