Monday, July 11, 2005

Wise words

Long ago, I took a stand that I could not cooperate with a forced divorce by signing and agreeing to it, due to my core inner values, and my deep beliefs that civil law cannot undo what was done in our Church, no matter how hard they may try, and no matter what anyone else had to say about it. Whether I agreed or not, it would not change the fact that God witnessed the vows spoken that day long before any papers were served.

On the day that those papers came, finally, after having been told repeatedly that they would not be coming, and then being told that he was 'just checking' on his rights....and then being asked if he could hand them to me when he came for our younger two children's birthday party....and being told no... I told the process server that I would not sign them. I asked him to pray for us, and told him that I did not believe in divorce. He agreed, and told me he would note time and date of service, and said that he and his wife would pray for us.

I had already taken my stand long before that date. Stated clearly for anyone interested to hear, to my husband, to our counselors, to our priest, to the 12 Step program and friends, family, children. My vows were til death separated us, period.

In Scripture, we are told that it takes one or two witnesses to make a covenant. And God does not ever break Covenant. He is a witness to our covenant. I am a witness to our Covenant. And we had many others who witnessed it. Man cannot destroy a Covenant that God witnessed.

Today, many think that man can do this, including many in our Church, on our Tribunals. In spite of repeatedly being cautioned that too many Declarations of Nullity were being found in our country, by JPII, it continues.

I came across a quote today that says what I said but on a different topic, and much better than I said it: Yes, Joan Andrew Bell is a VERY wise woman

"I will not cooperate with immoral, unjust laws corruptly and cowardly imposed on the American people for the sake of pretending to solve social and economic problems by murdering innocent children...Indeed, I will not obey unjust laws nor consent to cooperate with the murder of the sacred lives of God's precious children. I could no more adhere to the unjust laws of this land, or in any way give credence to evil enshrined in law, than deny God Himself."



If I just simply substitute a few words, it would be my stand for the past 20 plus years:

"I will not cooperate with immoral, unjust laws corruptly and cowardly imposed on the American people for the sake of pretending to solve social and economic problems by attempting to dissolve indissoluble marriages ...Indeed, I will not obey unjust laws nor consent to cooperate with the destruction of the sacred marriages by forced, unilateral no fault divorce at the whim of one who abandons their vows. I could no more adhere to the unjust laws of this land, or in any way give credence to evil enshrined in law, than deny God Himself."


Yes, Joan Andrew Bell is a VERY wise woman whose words fit many aspects of today's society.

Thank you, Joan Andrews Bell! I have long admired your courage.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home