Tuesday, July 05, 2005

United Church of Christ Decision

LONG ago, in dating days, I knew a couple of people who were not Catholic, but not really that many. I did not really date those who weren't, as it was important in those days to be of the same Faith, and not just to Catholics.

I did, however, have a very close friend who attended the United Church of Christ. We seldom talked about our religions, other than for him to point out where he'd been confirmed, but the pastor there was the father of a younger sister's friend. Several years later, he was also the pastor of a cousin. And it was then that I learned a little more about her Church.

Over the years that I knew my friend, I sometimes wondered what it would be like to have a family in a 'mixed marriage'. I had the opportunity to really entertain that thought for a short time when a letter came five weeks before my wedding asking me to wait til the end of summer when he came home (after not having heard from him for a long time).

I did spend time thinking about what to do. Asked my mother, etc. Don't think I ever told her he was not Catholic. No longer can remember, as it was soooo long ago.

For several reasons, I did not 'wait', and one of them was the religion issue, but that WAS a real factor back then for me. I still think it helps to both have the same Faith in marriage, but am wiser now.

One cannot simply call themselves "Catholic", "Lutheran", non-denom, etc. One must live it, and it is often best if both are living the same faith. If not, even though both may say that they are the same religion, it can be just as difficult, or even more difficult than a 'blended' faith family.

I don't think that there is a human being alive that does not have a fond memory of someone in the distant past. I was reminded about this today, when I heard the news on the way home from work about the decision made by the United Church of Christ about same sex marriage. I wonder how Pastor feels about this decision...and I remembered my friend from back then, and wondered the same thing, if he is still in United Church of Christ.

So many that I know have left the Episcopalian Church recently, and I wonder if the same will happen now in United Church of Christ? (read the comments bottom up) Looks like already there are objections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home