Monday, July 14, 2008

Two Catholic Men--Tim Russert and Tony Snow

Raymond Arroyo has written two separate articles on the deaths of Tim Russert and Tony Snow.

I have been wondering why the only references to Tony Snow's faith has been as 'Christian', not as 'Catholic', and Raymond has expressed that same thought. And he references quotes from Tony Snow's commencement address at the recent Catholic University of America's graduation. Tony's  very wording not only sounds Catholic, but IS Catholic. It is EXCELLENT, and very much worth reading.

Tony Snow, Requiescat In Pace

Over the last few weeks another Sunday morning Washington institution, Tim Russert was saluted from all quarters for his civility and faith. Russert's Catholicism was highlighted in nearly every televised memorial. Not so with Tony Snow. And this is unfortunate.

Tony was not only a convert to Catholicism, but he publically stood with the Church on all those issues that separate the goats from the sheep. He was pro-life, an advocate for the less fortunate, and committed to the common good. Still, near as I can tell, no Cardinals came rushing forward to minister to his co-workers or are tripping over one another to celebrate his funeral Mass. As a friend observed recently, "When you do what you're supposed to do the praise comes in heaven."


Tony Snow's funeral will be held at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC. I would have been able to attempt to 'be there' had I still been visiting my sister. I probably would not have been able to actually be in the Church at the time of the funeral, because I am sure that there will be MANY who attend. But I would have 'been there' in a more intimate way than I can from where I live.

May he rest in peace. May his wife and children and family/friends be comforted.
Numbers 6:24-26.

God bless


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home