Monday, June 16, 2008

FR EMIL JOSEPH KAPAUN: Cause for Sainthood to be officially opened

I have had a special place in my heart for Fr Vincent Capodanno over about the past eight years, since I first heard of him. In the course of researching Fr Capodanno, I had come across another Chaplain whose story has also intrigued me.

Fr Emil Kapaun was an Army Chaplain during WWII and the Korean War. He saved many lives (impossible to know how many he saved simply by going out after them, much less actually CARRYING injured men if he had to). He was captured only because he refused to leave the injured men he was with. I recently read Shepherd in Combat Boots, and am even more impressed.

Fr Emil was in the news again yesterday. (Same story is here.) After reading Shepherd in Combat Boots, I can't help but think that this man is not only a Saint, but that he was martyred while a POW in North Korea.

Just a few otehr places to learn more about him:

Chaplain Emil Kapaun

Sainthood For U.S. Army Chaplain Father (CAPT) Emil J. Kapaun

FATHER EMIL JOSEPH KAPAUN

'Simple kindness and breathtaking courage'

Fr

The Defender - Featured Saint

Fr. Kapaun worked like saint in prison

Transcript - Father Kapaun

God bless!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home