Friday, March 23, 2007

John and Elizabeth Edwards

UPDATE Feb 2010:

THIS WAS ALL A SHAM, and I have NO respect for any of those involved in the cover-up of an affair and out-of-wedlock child born to Edwards.



I really cannot vote for John Edwards due to much he stands for.

But I can admire the man, and his wife, for being an honorable couple.

I do NOT know their marital history, but based on what I have seen thus far, they are ONE, and they are honoring their wedding vows.

The first time that Elizabeth was diagnosed, he left politics and stayed with her through treatment. Now it is back, and it is in her bones, and they announced it together, just as they announced their plans. Not one word about the 'I" that we hear so much today. He spoke of what SHE wants, she spoke of what HE wants, and they spoke of what THEY want.

I have met many many sick women over my thirty five plus years in the health field, and many of them were left behind when that illness was a LONG TERM illness. Those who stuck by their wives were wonderful care-givers, and you could tell that they loved their wife. For some reason, more women stay in sickness of their mate.

Long ago, in Alcohol spousal treatment/counseling/classes, we were told that statistically, women stayed with their alcoholic spouses, while men did not. Women got sick quicker, and more often hid it at home. It always bothered me to hear this, but it was also something that I had already been seeing happening in the hospital and in my community.

John Edwards and Elizabeth Edwards, I will be praying for you both, for health and for growing love. (Sorry that I cannot vote for you, but you have my admiration in life).

Harry Truman said: "A man who would lie to his wife would lie to me, and a man who would break his marriage vows would break his oath of office."

I think that is very profound, very true, very thought-provoking, especially today, when so many pooh-pooh fidelity.

I also think that a man who would stand by his wife in illness deserves respect.

You can read between the lines about what I think of any man/woman who does NOT.

I (John), take you (Elizabeth) to be my wife.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

I (Elizabeth), take you (John) to be my husband.
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health.
I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.


"Right is still right if nobody is right,
and wrong is still wrong if everybody is wrong,"
Archbishop Fulton J Sheen author of The Life of Christ

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home