Thursday, December 07, 2006

James Kim Gave All "Greater Love has no man...."



I watched and prayed for the searchers of the James Kim family this past week. I hoped that they would have the same success as another missing family, with all found safely.

I rejoiced when they found Kati, Penelope and Sabine Kim. I prayed that soon they would also find her husband, their Dad, James Kim....

Then came the radio call.. "Mr Kim is a Code 57". They had found him, already deceased.

Mr Kim is, IMHO, a hero. Yes, the best would have been to stay together and be found together. But after seven days, his instinct was to save his family in the only remaining way that he could. Walk out alone and get help. He started a fire before he left...and then walked over ten miles to try to find someone, anyone, to rescue his wife and his daughters.

He did not make it.

When I heard the news report, I was on my way home from work, and the only thoughts that came to me, and that have stayed with me are these:

Oh, my, that poor woman! Oh those poor kids... Oh, that poor man, what he may have been thinking as he trudged along... but oh, wow... " Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his (family) friends." ~~John 15:13

A few comments from those who searched for him...

Whether hypothermia made Kim lose balance, or whether Kim was too weak to recover after he fell, Forman didn't know.
But he was sure of one thing: ``I don't think he gave up until he died.''


``He was as passionate about living as we were in finding him,'' Winters said. ``James showed the love for his family, his will to live -- you have to see that country to understand what serious terrain it really is.''

``Anyone can make a mistake,'' Winters said. ``Mr. Kim made a mistake of getting back in there, but once he did, he did everything to live.''

I will continue to pray for Kati, and her daughters, and James Kim's extended family and friends. I will pray for James, though I am convinced that he now resides with the Lord.

James Kim did everything he could to try to save his wife and his daughters, including giving his life.

May he rest in peace!





AP Photo/Medford Mail Tribune, Jim Craven
Oregon State Police Lt. Gregg Hastings talks to the media in Central Point, Ore., Thursday, Dec. 7, 2006, about James Kim, a San Francisco man who died in the mountains of Southern Oregon after leaving his family to seek help. Authorities say autopsy results show Kim, 35, died of exposure and hypothermia.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home