Monday, February 06, 2006

Women Set Walmart Pharmacies Up....then Sue 'Em.

Personally, I cannot imagine a professional Pharmacist embarrassing women the way that some have said they do about this medication. But I am offended that a few people think that everyone MUST submit to their standard and to THEIR 'conscience', rather than allowing the individual to be able to abide by their own beliefs regarding this and other issues.

I could not fill a prescription for this if I were a pharmacist anymore than I could assist at an abortion or an 'assisted suicide' or even carrying out the death penalty. I could not participate in starving/dehydrating a person to death, either.

I think that these women have forgotten the basic lesson that I was taught in eighth grade Civics Class... My rights END where someone else's BEGIN! I am tired of the imposition of other's rights on me at the loss of my own rights!!

And this planned attack really, really irritates me!!

The plaintiffs are Katrina McCarty, 29, of Somerville, Julia Battel, 37, of Boston, and Dr. Rebekah Gee, 30, of Boston. All three were turned away when they tried to buy emergency contraception pills at area Wal-Marts.

The women said they knew they would be refused when they went to the Wal-Marts in Quincy and Lynn and that the action was planned with the abortion rights groups and lawyers.

After being refused, McCarty and Battel went to other pharmacies and got their prescriptions filled. CVS, the state's largest pharmacy chain, stocks the pill at all of its pharmacy locations, as do the state's other major pharmacy chains.

"I did this on behalf of my patients," said Gee, who is completing her residency at Brigham and Women's/Massachusetts General Hospitals in Obstetrics and Gynecology. "Women shouldn't be refused needed medication."

The lawsuit also seeks $25 in damages for each of the three women filing the lawsuit, plus attorneys' fees, which is all they are entitled to under the state's consumer protection law. Perkins has asked Wal-Mart to settle the matter within 30 days.




Not sure that this will work, but the poll (about 50-50 when I was there) is from here :

QUICKVOTE

Should Wal-Mart be required to stock the "morning after pill"?
Yes
No




Related Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home