Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wedding Plans, Mother of Groom, continued....

Ok, So I gave up. I will not be trying on any more store bought dresses for my son's wedding!!

But I want to thank you for the prayers.

I spoke to my seamstress friend from Michigan who had made my oldest daughter's BEAUTIFUL Silk wedding dress. She gave me the professional website to see if one listed was near me. I found a lady on there from my area!! But she has a bad back, and I was not comfortable with waiting for her back to be better, so I told her I would hang onto her name, but I also kept looking.

My sister in law (M's brother's wife) knew someone, but she also has a problem, had recent surgery on her neck!! Told me to go to a place called Alban's ... well known for making much of the wardrobe for the Miss Wisconsin Pageant...

Went to work, and somehow got talking about looking for a place, and Alban's came up.
A woman there said "Hang on, I have a paper from them..!" She told me to ask for Meg B---s and to tell Meg that she had recommended her.


Ok, we called, made an appointment... Got there JUST on time, and as we were talking and describing, looking at pattern books, picking pieces of one outfit and bits of others, the woman was sketching on a pad.

I had NO idea who the woman I was talking to was, but while we were doing all of this, I told her about Catherine telling me to ask for Meg B---s... she smiled and said... well, you got me!

SOOOO, we then went around the shop looking to see if my daughter could find a color similar to the girls' dresses. She found one that she thought was pretty close to the color "Sea Mist".

Where DO they get the names of those colors???

We began to look at colors that would not clash with it, and found an evergreen *hunter* kind of green that blended well...

That just happens to be a color I LIKE, and one that looks nice on me! It also would be ok with the Mother of the Bride, who has chosen a brown color to wear.

She asked me if I liked lace and/or beads/sequins, and showed me one gorgeous lace material that had the right scalloping, with beads and sequins... it went WELL with the other...

She showed me another edging that also did, but just was not as pretty... so the lace was perfect.

(That after telling her that I am more of a 'plain' type person than beads and sequins....grin )



I said... "Go for it!!"

My daughter said, "Mom... maybe we should go and make SURE it does not clash first...??"

(When did she get to be so practical???)

SO... we cut swatches from some of their leftovers of the two materials, and told Meg that as soon as we had checked at the Bridal Shop, we'd call back and either ok it--- or tell her we'd be back to find a different color...



Perfect.



So, I am going to have a two piece outfit made.

It will have an "A"line style skirt and a short sleeve top that is a little longer than most in the stores are, with scalloped edges on sleeves and along the bottom (there was JUST enough of the lace to comfortably make almost any style top we choose... !!! ) An organza (?) will be put under the lace sleeve just for a little less of a 'bare' look.... The neckline is a sweetheart style.


It all fell right into place.


I have a first fitting for the muslin top that will allow her to fit it to me, and make it the length we want, before she actually cuts into the lace and other material... on Feb 16.

AND, she said that there is NOTHING to worry about as for the timing of the wedding, ... there is PLENTY of time ...




And YES, she also DOES make 'professional' women's suits.... something I have wanted to do for years! And yes, she can make a few skirts/slacks to go with the jacket or jackets for a 'wardrobe' ...



COOL, huh?

AND... MEG is, I believe, possibly married to a relative of Mom's!!


Thanks for the prayers....God is good.



But, I had to pass up a 13 week LPN travel position in Hawaii .... thought that Kev and Katie would just not appreciate me being gone until like two days before the wedding... sigh... can't have everything, huh?...

Drat...

( I didn't even apply for it. I was a good mom.... lol. )


Now I have missed Alaska for my grandson, and Hawaii for my son....
Someday my ship will come in...





Now, if my son could just find the song....


Update June 27, 2006 The Wedding


Related Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean Heimann said...

The dress sounds very pretty and how wonderful to have your very own personal seamstress!

I'm so sorry about the missed opportunities -- especially the one in Hawaii, but you have your priorities in order and that is something that makes you a great mom.

Have you seen Christmas with the Kranks? That came to mind when you mentioned the missed oppportunities -- funny movie.

I will pray that all goes well.

God bless you,
Jean

Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 11:49:00 PM CST  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

I figure when it is time to go to either place, the opportunities will come with nothing standing in the way. God knows best. My son teased his fiancee with this though, and told her I was leaving, coming back two weeks AFTER the wedding. She called me and I told her I'd be back two days before... then had to confess that I was not going anyplace, that we were pulling her leg.

Gave her the good news of my dress in place of the other, and she is thrilled. (She was getting worried...)

No, I never saw that one, but will look into it! Thanks!

God bless!!

Friday, February 3, 2006 at 7:21:00 AM CST  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

I tried to post a few times but it wouldn't go through (one time it said it was waiting for your approval, but I'm pretty sure you've never had your settings set to that). It's says it now again, but I'll try to post and see if it goes through.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I can't imagine how bittersweet it must be for you to have your son getting married. I don't even want to imagine that day for my son...I want him to stay my little guy forever!

Friday, February 3, 2006 at 12:51:00 PM CST  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

I got tired of the 'code' to type in, because some of them are rather hard to read, so thought I would try the moderation one for awhile. When I get home from work, or get up, I check right away to see if anyone had commented. I am going to keep this for a bith, and may go back to the other if there is too much traffic.

It is bittersweet, but it is also part of life. I am just glad that he has found Katie, as she is a sweetheart. They make a cute couple.

But it does just seem like yesterday that he was sounding like my little trumpeter in the nursery! grin....

Friday, February 3, 2006 at 1:19:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home