Monday, December 05, 2005

"COOL MOM"

Fictional.....based on recent news stories/past experiences and events that really happened.....


"I just wanted to be a 'cool Mom'..." (or substitute Cool Teacher....)

So I bought tons of alcoholic beverages for my kids and their friends to have parties at my home in spite of their being underage.... :

So what if at that party one kid got so drunk that he ended up dead from an overdose of alcohol... (that one was a 'Cool Brother'.... and my second daughter lost a friend this way)

So what if someone ended up drunk enough to 'consent' to having sex, and ultimately became pregnant as a result of the night of your COOL party...and now have opted to have an abortion... ( this one used to mean the girl left school, the baby placed for adoption when I was in high school... but has now happened MANY times, with the result being an unwed mother keeping her child or... a dead baby and post abortion trauma for both parents to live with)

So what if some teen boys got so drunk that they molested an equally drunk teen girl.... (this one has happened several times over the years, both published and not published)

So what if they drove themselves home and had an accident that wiped out a car load of kids...or a family... or just one... ( personally know some kids who died, one permanently crippled, and a family who was wiped out by a drunk teen driver...)

So what if other parents were angry with me...the KIDS LIKED ME...they thought I was a COOL MOM.... or DAD...

And I was SO COOL that I danced, and drank, and even had sex with some of them... cool, man... ( recently arrested/charged 'cool mom' )

Hey, I don't even NEED alcohol to be a 'COOL MOM' anymore... now, when I am driving, my kids 'ask' to be put into the trunk of my car, and instead of insisting that they be quiet, stay belted into their seats.... I pull over and open the trunk so that they can all three climb in and ride where they wanted to... and am shocked when an officer had observed that ...and pulled me over to ticket and charge me! It was the KIDS' wishes! It was what THEY WANTED....
( Just heard about this, complete with video on the news!)

End of fiction....


I am tired of "COOL MOMS" and "COOL DADS".

We were NOT blessed with our kids to be their buddies/friends/'COOL'...we are to be their PARENT.

That means putting limits on what they do. That means teaching them to obey the laws. That means saying NO to illegal things, and to many non-illegal things that are not safe or healthy for them, until they are old enough to take care of themselves. It means sometimes not being liked by our kids. It means postponing the day of being 'friend' and taking the reins of responsibility as PARENT.

Your kids have LOTS OF FRIENDS. And they have lots of friend's parents who are not their parents. They only have TWO PARENTS.... their MOM and their DAD. PERIOD. And they NEED those two to BE PARENTS.

Does that mean abuse those kids? Nope. But it does mean being mature and being in charge, and often, being unpopular with your own children for a short time. Eventually, they GROW UP and begin to like you again....

Kids do not need COOL parents. They need PARENTS. PERIOD.

They need someone to say NO.. why? Because I said so. They need someone to say I DON'T CARE if 'everybody' is doing it... I AM NOT EVERYBODY'S MOTHER... I am YOUR mother... They need someone to point out that if EVERYBODY jumped off the Empire State Building...would YOU?

They don't NEED $80 for a pair of designer jeans promptly handed over to them just so you can learn the name of the designer and buy stock (a commercial)..they need you to say, here's $25 bucks, YOU get the rest if you want the expensive ones.... or... go look at Good Will, St Vincent's etc to see if someone donated a pair in your size....

Cool parents are making me sick. Cool parents are hurting their kids, and as a result, are hurting MINE.

Stop being a Cool Parent. Become their MOTHER or their FATHER.

The really 'cool parent' is one who "Parents"....and raises good kids who know right and wrong.

But it does mean setting limits and sticking to them in all matters of health and safety and morals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home