Wednesday, November 16, 2005

So You Want to Take Christmas Out of Christmas?

Watching news stories lately about taking Christmas out of Christmas has been exasperating, to say the least. More and more stores are having their employees say 'Happy Holidays' rather than "Merry Christmas". Last year, I did my small balking by blogging loudly and clearly exactly what I thought of what has been happening with increasingly more frequent and more blatant anti-Christian activities for the past generation.

This year, I think that the only boycott that I am going to join is to return to the roots of what Christmas is, and forget that side of it that is commercialized.

If I buy any gifts, it will be only from Catholic/Christian places, whether online or in town. Clearly, the rest of the places do not want my business. For many years already, when I buy (often don't get them mailed, but I have bought them with good intentions) Christmas cards, they ARE Christmas cards. When I mail them, they are mailed with Christmas stamps. NOT just those with cute snowmen, etc. The REAL Christmas Cards and Stamps that celebrate the birth of the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the Only Begotten Son of God, born to the Virgin Mary in a stable in Bethlehem, who the Angels announced, the Shepherds worshipped, and the Three Wisemen tracked down to bring gifts. The same One who was hated and feared so much by Herod that he ordered all boys under the age of two murdered, even in their mothers' arms (The Holy Innocents) in order to try to kill Jesus.

No longer will I give any Christmas season money to any business that does not want to celebrate the true reason for that Season.

They don't 'tolerate' me.

I have no problem with anyone who is Jewish wishing me back a Happy Hannuka, as my late family Doctor did each time we wished him a Merry Christmas.

And if someone who runs into me REALLY celebrates Kwanzaa, I have no problem wishing them one back. (However, I find it rather interesting that on the official Kwanzaa site, the man who owns the site calls himself the "Creator" of Kwanzaa. )

To be perfectly honest, I don't buy many gifts any more. The season of Christmas to me is time to reflect on the meaning of that day, and to be with my family. I used to buy, buy, buy for everyone. Then we hit a long time when I could not afford to do so any longer. I still bought for my kids and my parents (often chipping in on gifts for parents with my siblings). And for a few others.

But then came a time when my Dad died, and Mom spent the holidays at a hotel near my brother's home, and talked to the people who ran the place. She figured out that getting a room for each of her ten children and herself (with a meeting room, if possible) was less expensive and time-consuming than buying individual gifts for them and their spouses and each grandchild as she had been doing. At the time, I believe that was a total of seventeen adults, and nearing 25 grandkids. Figure it out, cost-wise even if you estimate a small amount per person.....

She asked what we thought about it, and we said... 'Great!'

So each year, since 1988, my family has gathered at a local hotel for two nights, Dec 25-27th. Everyone gets to go to their 'other side of the family' and have their own individual family time, then gather together later in the afternoon, to check in for the two night gift. If someone CANNOT get off of work, they can still come for the rest of the time.

As Mom says, "No one ever forgets what I got for them, returns it, or breaks it the first night".

As each of my children became adults and married, I, in turn, have gotten THEM their room at the same hotel. They have two nights, three days of swimming, shopping, movies, etc., and can spend time with their cousins, aunts, uncles, and Grandma. And the great grandkids can meet and get to know these same people.

But the little business I do, including buying decorations for a tree, etc, will no longer be done at the Mall, at Target, Walmart, etc. If they don't want to wish me a MERRY CHRISTMAS, I do not wish to spend my money there.

I will not boycott year round most of these places, because I do need clothing, shoes.

But from November until after January 6 (Epiphany) when MY Christmas Season ends *usually Advent to Epiphany*, I won't be in those stores for anything that is not absolutely not sold elsewhere and cannot wait. (Their 'holiday shopping seems to get longer each year, beginning even before All Hallowed Eve-Halloween now)

So, those of you who refuse to recognize MY Holiday/Holyday, enjoy yourselves without me this year.

And next year? If you continue to choose not to wish me a Merry Christmas? I honestly will not miss your stores.

Those smaller stores who DO wish me one will be glad that they do.

Addendum:

By the way, Neil Cavuto had a guest on tonight, a priest, who says that all of those stores should begin to wish people Seasons Greetings instead of Happy Holidays, because "HOLIDAY" means "HOLYDAY"... he says that they should hurry up and get rid of the Happy Holiday greeting. Good for Fr Jonathan Morris!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home