Monday, October 10, 2005

Prayers For A Miracle (Healing or Home, peacefully)

Jesus has said "What God has joined together, let NO MAN put assunder". That includes civil courts, in the estimation of many who have gone through forced unilateral 'no fault' divorce.

Later today, my dfil is being transferred home from the hospital after having all that can be done here on earth to help him live in spite of now, TWO forms of cancer that have been working hard to end his life. Short of a miracle in the broadest sense, my fil will soon leave this world, and enter the next.

Please pray for him, and for his family, including the father of our children, and for our children/grandchildren. I never stop believing for a miracle until the last. I understand we have had one, in that he consented to the Sacrament of the Sick, the annointing for the sick and dying... answered prayer. I did visit him twice in the hospital, and brought him a card and two medals. The Miraculous Medal, and one for the Eucharistic year that was blessed by JPII in January, 2005, before he died in April. A special nun gave it to me, and I knew it was for him when the time was right. He was so weak, and could not begin to open any letters, so I asked his wife to read it to him if she got the chance to do so; she told me that she would. My oldest said it was open, on the bedside table when she was with him on Sunday.

He was taken off the IV pain med and was more aware on Sunday, said hi to Erin and her hubby, and then asked Erin to come closer. He said to Erin "I love you, Erin!" He had a special smile and comment for each of her kids as she described the pictures that they had drawn for him.

My son, knowing the heritage of the family, including a smidgeon of Brothertown Indian, wants to learn their word for "Grandfather" as soon as possible. His grandfather has more Brothertown than does my son. But they both share the Irish... my son is having an especially hard time. All of my three will sorely miss him. Perhaps, only my oldest grandson will have memories that last that are actual memories, but the four and five year olds may remember from pictures of the good times at the cottage that they shared, and the fish that were caught there. Though I have not been there, they love to tell me about it!

St Pio, be with him and all of us. If it be God's Will, we ask for a miracle of healing, and more time here with all the family. But if it is his time, help him to prepare, and to have a peaceful death.
St Joseph, pray for him, and also for a happy death.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the LORD is with Thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and BLESSED is the Fruit of thy womb, JESUS.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us, NOW and AT THE HOUR of our death, Amen.

Lord If it is time for him to come Home, receive him into your arms, in Jesus' Most Holy and Precious Name.

ADDENDUM:
6:57 PM DFIL did not go home today. He is ruuning a fever of 104 degrees--yes, 104, and not responding.

UPDATE:
10/12/05 7:45 AM Just received word from both my youngest (son) and my oldest (daughter) that Grandpa Gordon passed away about an hour ago.

May he rest in peace. God bless you, Gordon.

Dear (____),

I simply cannot let anymore time go by without telling you of the impact you have had on my life. Long ago, I told you that I loved you, and I meant it. Long ago, I told you that you were ever welcome, and I meant that also.

You are my father in law; you always will be my father in law; you may be the only father in law I will ever have.

I remember the talks we had in our home, in our back yard, and I have missed them. I often was left thinking after you had gone home of some of the things we said. I remember days after we brought our first daughter home, when you and my Dad sat in the kitchen holding her ... and have missed both of you. I have pictures to remind me of what has been lost.

Though at times pressured to exclude you from my family, I could not. I simply said.. "I invite everyone, and who comes, comes: who doesn't... doesn't..." It was the only way I could be. It is still the way I am. I cannot INTENTIONALLY hurt anyone, though I know that I have at times done so. I could not choose to voluntarily exclude a parent from our family functions, ever. You belonged there with the family.

I remember when we wanted kids, and had so many infertility problems, and (dh) was agreeable to go the adoption route. Some said that they could not do that, that they could not accept adopted children as their own. Some simply refused to go through the study involved. But we were lucky, because our children, all three of them, were NEVER treated as though they did not belong.

I loved your Dad, and your Mother immensely. Your Dad did not have the chance to meet any of our kids. Your Mom did. I will never forget her, ( _____). She just accepted them, from a generation that often did NOT. When we brought our second daughter home, and then took her over to see Great-Grandma E___.... her comment to me that day sealed her in my heart forever. She held our child, looked at me and said... "I was so hoping that this time you would get a boy, to carry on the (last) name!"

To so totally accept my girls in that way was so special to me, as it settled once and for all that our children WERE our children, not just in our eyes, but in the extended family's as well. Not once did I ever feel that you or anyone in our family felt any differently. I missed your mother when she died, (____), almost as much as (dh) missed your Dad. I think her prayers were answered in a very special way when our son was born... to carry on the (last) name.

I loved your brother S___ and his wife ...they also loved my kids as though there was no difference in the way that they had come to be ours from any of the others. I hear wonderful stories about them when I work at Oakridge. I have missed them, also, as with B__ and her husband, J___, etc. M--- once told me that I was the only one (in law) who called her Aunt M---, and she loved it.

That acceptance was very meaningful to me, because I have always felt that God Himself chose our family from the beginning of time. Since we have met Erin's birthmother and birthfather and learned of many small things that happened long before the girls were even conceived... (especially with bmom.... she played at my best friend, Nan's house as a child!)... it is even more strongly confirmed in my heart.

I have prayed for you and all of your family for many years. I have often wondered if there had been any way that I had hurt any of you, and wanted to make amends if I had. Please forgive anything that I may have done that caused you pain, (_____).

I have also prayed very hard for you in a special way-- that you would find a way back home to the Church of your parents and your youth, and I continue to hope that you can. It is almost my fondest prayer and hope.

Fr Corapi says in his talks... "If you really love someone, you want that person in Heaven someday". I really love you, (____). It is not just something that I am saying, it is heartfelt. I have always, and will always. I have missed you....

When I married your son, I also took his family as mine. In my heart, I always intended to care for our parents if they ever needed it, especially after I became a nurse.
I did for my father.
Things happened, and there would have been no way that (P____) could or would have accepted any help from me.
I will for my mother if she ever needs help.
And if there is anything that I can do for you, I will, though the time factor enters into the picture. All you or K___ have to do is call me. If I can help in any way, I will be there.

My nursing skills and my prayers are all that I can offer you, as little as they may seem. God bless you!

Love,

A daughter in law,

2 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Aww, WI. :( I'm so, so sorry. Your letter was so moving, and I'm sure it touched him deeply. I will be praying for him (I LOVE St. Pio..he helped me get a miracle in my life).

How gracious, loving and holy of you to still reach out to your husband's family, though he abandoned you and your vows. You are an incredible woman!

Love and Hugs,
Dawn

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 10:46:00 AM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Thank you, but only an obedient woman, not incredible. Have not heard anything more today, so far.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 3:07:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home