Friday, August 19, 2005

Gaza Strip

I have been watching the events going on over in the Gaza area with very mixed feelings. I think about the recent US Supreme Court decision on the use of private land for a new definition of eminent domain as I watch the Jewish settlers being forcibly removed from homes, and yesterday, from the Synagogue (realizing that those in the synagogue are NOT all settlers).

I think about how I would feel if I were removed from my own home by force, even with monetary compensation, and I can understand exactly how the Israeli settlers feel.

I sit here remembering a time when the Sudentenland was signed over to Germany in the Munich Agreement by Neville Chamberlain, of England, as well as France's Deladier and Italy's Mussolini.

That agreement did not include moving a large population out of the area that they had lived in for many years. It was intended to maintain peace. They believed Hitler would not continue to advance against other nations. It is a perfect example of how appeasement does NOT work to bring peace when one deals with... a terrorist.

Peace at all costs? It did not work in 1938. Hitler continued his advance on Czechoslavakia and then Poland, and then ... eventually France, Italy, and.... England. He even tried to take over Russia.

This past week, we have been told that this withdrawal is in the interest of peace. It may be on one side. I sincerely believe that Sharon thinks it will work, and so does Bush.

The land came under Israeli control after the Six Day War in June, 1967.

Tonight, I have come across another who seems to feel as I do, Emmett Tyrell. I think back on all I have learned and read the past years since I graduated from HS just as this war began in June, 1967, as well as the example of the Sudentenland...and I cannot help but fear for Israel!! Compromise with Hitler did not work. Compromise with any bully does not work... compromise here may not work for long...

I remember that the Mufti of Jerusalem was photographed with Hitler, was a Nazi sympathizer, and how Arafat was determined to get rid of the nation of Israel. I remember that the desires of the Arab nations from the very beginning of Israel on May 18, 1948 is to drive the Jews into the sea and be rid of them, once and for all. I remember how this continues to be the intent even today, and all I can think of is... they are now that much closer to Israel, if a new 'nation' is formed for the 'Palestinians'.

There have always been Jewish people living in that area, perhaps not as a nation, but they have been in that entire area. I remember, also, that Christians were also there, and how they have been leaving the area because of persecution. Not by the Israelis, either. And I can't help but wonder why the insistence that not one Jewish person can remain in the territory of Gaza, etc in order to make 'peace'.

To me, this smacks of ethnic cleansing. To me, this smacks of a dangerous precedent. And, based on past 'agreements' that have not been kept on the part of the Arabs.... it smacks of more of the same. Appeasement just simply does NOT work to make peace.

We should have learned this in 1939 when Hitler marched into Poland. We should have learned this when he marched on France, Italy, Russia...and attempted to take England. Yet the same nations Hitler walked over then....support this and say nothing.

I would like to think that I am wrong. I would like to believe that this will bring peace to the region. I would like to think that those Jewish settlers have truly been moved out of their homes for a lasting peace...but already, the ante has been upped. NOW they also want the Jews out of other areas...

You don't beat a bully by appeasement. You don't keep giving a bully your lunch money hoping that he will stop coming after you. He will keep demanding more. Appeasement does NOT bring peace. Appeasement simply makes you more vulnerable to attack.

I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I am afraid for Israel.

2 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

I was so sad watching all those people, especially the children, being forced to leave. :(

Thursday, August 25, 2005 at 9:38:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

So was I. I have friends over there, but they don't live IN the Gaza Strip, and I wish that I could get hold of the dentist to see HIS reaction.

And sadly, it won't solve anything, or even help. The ante has already been upped... and, some have already counted it as a victory that is the 'beginning' of getting the Jews out of 'ALL of our land'.... The other side isn't interested in peace. They want the Jews gone, period.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 at 11:47:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home