Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Is the TUBE the PROBLEM???? NOOOO

Note to all:
OCCASIONAL CAPS of one or two words in my writings is NOT shouting, but is emphasis only. I cannot underline, and find * to be both time-consuming and distracting, personally.
Should I ever submit an entirely capped blog, you will know I am shouting. God bless.

I have had several tell me that I am against removing G-tubes, when discussing Terri Schiavo. That is NOT the problem. Tubes are removed all the time, after the person no longer needs them.

I am against DEHYDRATING and STARVING a HUMAN BEING whose heart continues to beat, whose lungs continue to function, who is NOT DYING, simply because another human being 'would not want to live like that'.... describing a DISABLED PERSON.

I am against calling someone who has a disability of the brain Brain DEAD when they are NOT brain dead in an attempt to end that person's life. I am against killing someone simply because of a disability. I am against using 'hear say' evidence to 'prove' that this is what the person wanted. I am against depersonalizing a human being by labeling a disabled person to be a 'vegetable'. (A human being NEVER becomes a vegetable.)

I have no problem with not using a respirator/ventilator if there is absolute proof that the location of the brain injury is in such a place (brain stem) where the bodily functions of breathing and heart beating, etc is controlled, and the person's heart/lungs can not ever again begin to function on their own, and the brain damage is so severe that they cannot live. That is NOT Terri's diagnosis.

I have no problem with a person who has been fighting kidney failure for years deciding not to continue on dialysis (note: the person deciding) or another who chooses not to continue chemotherapy after it is becoming a futile battle.

I have a problem with killing a person by denying food and water to that person. Teach them to swallow using the new techniques we have today, and wean them off of tube feedings... no problem. We do it all the time.

The problem is not taking out a tube. It is taking a life when only God has that right. It is denying the person a basic necessity of life. It is treating that person worse than anyone would ever allow an animal to be treated. And do I condone killing that person by 'putting them down' as an animal is? No, That is direct euthanasia, and I do not condone it in any way.

But it would have been more honest, and more humane than starving/dehydrating was and is.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home