Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Inside the OODA Loop

This one was fascinating!

I found it the other day, but had not yet gotten around to posting it, until tonight. I did not want to lose it, so kept gong into history to make sure it stayed where I could find it.

Not being a pilot, I never heard of an OODA loop, nor of John Boyd. But after reading this, I guess I am not the ONLY one who never heard of it....

God bless!


McCain Flies His Campaign Past Obama
Michael Barone
Saturday, September 13, 2008

John McCain was trained as a fighter pilot. In his selection of Sarah Palin, and in his convention and campaigning since, he has shown that he learned an important lesson from his fighter pilot days: He has gotten inside Barack Obama's OODA loop.

That term was the invention of the great fighter pilot and military strategist John Boyd. It's an acronym for Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

"The key to victory is operating at a faster tempo than the enemy," Boyd's biographer Robert Coram writes. "The key thing to understand about Boyd's version is not the mechanical cycle itself, but rather the need to execute the cycle in such a fashion as to get inside the mind and decision cycle of the adversary."

For a fighter pilot, that means honing in above and behind the adversary so you can shoot him out of the sky. For a political candidate, it means acting in such a way that the opponent's responses again and again reinforce the points you are trying to make and undermine his own position.

The Palin selection -- and her performance at the convention and on the stump -- seems to be having that effect. Obama chief strategist David Axelrod admitted of the Palin pick: "I can honestly say we weren't prepared for that. I mean, her name wasn't on anybody's list." But it was known that McCain's VP adviser had traveled to Alaska, and anyone clicking on youtube.com could see Palin's impressive performance in political debates. The McCain campaign shrewdly kept the information that she was on the short list and that she was the choice to a half-dozen people, who didn't tell even their spouses. The Obama team failed to Observe.

Read the rest here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right, the concept is fascinating and Col. John Boyd was an absolute genius who did not get the credit he deserves while he was still alive.

If you want to know more about Col. Boyd and his life and how he developed his concepts, there are 2 very good books about him.

The first is "Boyd, the Fighter Pilot who Changed the Art of War" by Robert Coram and the second is "The Mind of War" by Grant Hammond. Both are very good books that discuss Col. Boyd's strategy and life. I would highly recoomend both.

I also live in Wisconsin and I am currently in negotiations to bring Dr. Chet Richards to Wisconsin. Dr. Richards is one of Col. Boyd's acolytes and he is the only person who is still alive who can deliver the briefs that Col. Boyd developed over the past 50 years.

If you are interested please let me know.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:41:00 AM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Interesting! I have been reading Dr Richards website, and found the Compendium. I have to admit that most of it is above my head, and is very new to me.

Should you get him to come to Wisconsin, yes, you can let me know. I'll alert others, and even think about listening to him myself.

What exactly is meant by 'deliver the briefs'? Are the briefs what is found in the Compendium?
http://www.d-n-i.net/dni/john-r-boyd/

God bless!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 1:09:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home