Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Brownback says rival should apologize for Catholic slur

It may have been a 'private email', but it has become PUBLIC. I am not certain I agree that Huckabee should apologize, but I DO think that the author (Pastor RUDE, perhaps an appropriate name?) should! Not only to Brownback, but to Catholics in general!
 
This type of anti-Catholicism is unacceptable. Senator Brownback is a strong Christian, and practices his Catholic Faith. It is NOT safe to write 'private' emails that are slurs, at any time. But when there is any chance that it can become public, it is the WRITER of the words that must accept responsibility for them. Huckabee may want to find out why, and how, and WHO made this public, but he also should speak to the Pastor to tell him that this is unacceptable.
 
And the 'bigger man' would also make his thoughts on that aspect public, as well as cleaning up the 'leak'. To simply say that "Rude is not a campaign staffer and was expressing a personal opinion in a private e-mail " through a SPOKESMAN is not acceptable.
 
 
God bless!
 

Brownback says rival should apologize for Catholic slur

Washington DC, August 1 (CNA).-Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback said rival Mike Huckabee should apologize for a supporter's "prejudiced whisper campaign" against him for being Catholic.

According to a report by The Associated Press, Rev. Tim Rude, pastor of Walnut Creek Community Church, sent an e-mail to Brownback supporters pointing out that Huckabee is an evangelical Protestant and Brownback is not. In the e-mail, Rude calls Huckabee — a former Arkansas governor and an ordained Baptist minister "one of us."

"I know Senator Brownback converted to Roman Catholicism in 2002," wrote Rude. "Frankly, as a recovering Catholic myself, that is all I need to know about his discernment when compared to the governor's."

Rude apologized Tuesday, saying he never meant to sound critical of Catholicism.

"In no way do I think a Catholic would not make a great president," he reportedly said. "In fact, if Governor Huckabee drops out of the race, I will support Senator Brownback."

Brownback said through a spokesman that Huckabee should apologize. But Huckabee's campaign did not. Huckabee spokesman Eric Woolson said Rude is not a campaign staffer and was expressing a personal opinion in a private e-mail .

 
 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beyond the following statement, what more would you have Huckabee say or do?

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee Tuesday issued the following statement in response to media inquiries about an e-mail issued by Rev. Tim Rude in Iowa: “We are glad that Rev. Rude issued an apology and clarification for his comments. They were not authorized by, disseminated by, approved by, or condoned by the campaign. Our campaign enjoys strong support from Catholics as well as evangelicals, and for that matter, from people whose support is not faith-based at all. I have spoken in Catholic churches and maintained a strong relationship with Christian brothers and sisters from many denominations.

“While I’m deeply grateful that many people of faith support me because they know I represent views compatible with theirs, I know that there are many others who support me because of an effective record of achieving results. Either way, I’m grateful for the support.

“I consider Sam Brownback a Christian brother and know that he feels likewise toward me. Like Senator Brownback, several key members of my staff are Roman Catholic. As believers, we don’t have time to fight each other. We need to focus on having a servant’s spirit and bringing hope to those who have given up.”

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Thank you for the update. I have not had time to seek out any further statement, as I have been concerned about some I know from Minneapolis after the bridge collapse. It would have taken until tomorrow for me to have had the chance to catch this.

As I said, it was Pastor Rude who should apologize, and Huckabee needs to find out how a 'private' email went 'public'.

God bless!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 10:57:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home