Sunday, November 05, 2006

PARENTS WISH

My son chose a song recommended to us by Bill G of Contratimes for our mother/son dance to at his wedding. It is sung by both Josh Groban and Celtic Woman, with Celtic Woman's being the version he chose.

This video has Josh Groban's version. It came to me at a time when I am struggling, and needless to say, caused some tears. It is beautiful. As it ended, I read the FAQ's and found that it also has a single father and single mother version.

When I listened to it simply as "Parents Wish", I remembered my Dad's final illness and death, as well as my mother's progressing dementia. I remembered her anger and disbelief as she watched what the courts were doing to Terri Schindler Schiavo at the request of her unfaithful husband/guardian. I remembered how she had told me how she had helped to care for her mother long ago as she was dying of cancer.

I remembered as a young married nurse when I told my parents and in laws that they would not have to go to a nursing home if they did not want to, because I would help them. I was married then. I was not alone then. I was much younger then. I had not yet watched a parent dying. I had not yet raised three children alone.

I had not grown tired.

When I found the single mother video...I heard my Mom again from Friday night....

Pray for me. Pray for my Mom. Pray for her other children, too.

Parent Wish

Read Numbers 8 and 9 on FAQ's.

SINGLE PARENT VERSIONS:

Single Father

Single Mother

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Dear WI,

My friend, I am glad that the Josh Groban/Celtic Woman song continues to touch you. It continues to speak to me.

I am all that is left of my family, save my mother, who is also, sadly, slipping into difficulty. I spend most of my days and nights not knowing what to do. I flounder, I falter, I waste time, money. I am by all counts a lousy care-giver to my mom. But I press on, hoping I am doing OK; my heart is willing, but the flesh is, well, the flesh is so very weak.

I pray all goes well with you, your mom, your son and new daughter-in-law. Don't be afraid to ask for help, especially from any brothers or sisters who can contribute some relief. You need not always be strong; your weakness lets your family be strong for you.

But who am I?

I will pray for you tonight.

Gnade

Monday, November 6, 2006 at 7:14:00 PM CST  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Who are you?

An angel who showed up one day with the song we needed to solve our problem, that said what my son wanted to say, that touched us both so much we cried. Good tears. Happy tears. Healthy tears. Joy-filled tears. Honest tears that said... things are changing, but will be good, will be ok, just hang on and thanks for everything up to now.

And yes, Bill, that song is now one of my very favorites, by either Josh Groban OR Celtic Woman. It is powerful.

And I can never hear it without thinking of you, whom I consider to be a friend though we have never met and probably never will.

Family dynamics...ah, well...

I remember being SO BRAVE when I was 25 and talking smart. New, young nurse know it all... now reality sets in, and I feel so lost, unsure, fearful, even guilty. Tired.

I am sure that you, too, are doing a good job, probably better than mine.

Thank you for understanding, and for being there...I do understand.

God bless... my prayer for you is Numbers 6:24-26, Bill!

Monday, November 6, 2006 at 9:28:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home