Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mel Gibson and Me by Rabbi Daniel Lapin

My prayer for Mel Gibson is for delivery from the alcoholism that afflicts his life, more than anything else. Why? Because that alcoholism affects everyone around him, especially his family. There are still many that are more upset about his words than about the alcoholism.

What he said was despicable, no matter who he said it to. But as I had said, his apology shows much more remorse than does another's...

Though there has been a lot of media coverage of reactions to his words, I have NOT seen much on this perspective from Rabbi David Lapin. There are many portions of that column that I would love to quote here, but then I may as well just post the entire article! He had also long ago written about The Passion of The Christ, also, and I had also liked his response then. One of those can be found here.

There is also another writer that mentions Rabbi Lapin's column, and has some thoughts of his own. I am not certain that I agree with everything stated here, especially in the open appeal aspect of this column, because I do believe that we need to make amends to others that we have hurt by direct and humble means, unless to do so would make things worse, by hurting the other more... (part of the 12 Step Program). But again, an aspect not covered by the MSM.

God bless!

HT to an AHC group member, Jill, for both articles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home