Wednesday, October 12, 2005

May he rest in peace Numbers 6:24-26

Awhile ago, at 5:29 AM, my son sent me an email with a long letter he said I can share with anyone. I got it four minutes later, and then tried to reach him by messenger, since I knew he was online. We spoke about his grandfather and how he has been looking for the Brothertown Nation's word for 'grandfather' (probably Algonquin).

Approx 7:40 AM, my oldest daughter IM'd me to say that grandpa died about an hour ago, just after Kev IM'd me to say that she had just called him to tell him the same. It seems that though we are not together, the Lord allowed us to be in contact when the news came. My second daughter is also aware.

Because he starts off the letter saying I can share it with whomever I want to, in its entirety or part, I will put exerpts here, but will post the end of his email separately. We have had many healings and answered prayer, and Gordon L has gone Home. No more tears, no more suffering.

Gordon has a heritage of Irish, French, and Brothertown Indian, and not sure if there is more or not. He is survived by his second wife Karen, his three sons and one daughter and their children, a total of eleven grandchildren and ... I think five great grandchildren right now. He was preceded in death by his first wife, a brother, and a brother in law, as well as his parents. There are also step children and step grandchildren. He was 76 years old. He has been living with cancer for the past three years.


God bless you, Gordon. May your rest in peace.

If any father reads the rest of this, please give your son that hug that my son describes below (your daughter also, but especially your son.)


Kev wrote:

i went up to see grandpa on the 10th and i sat with grandma karen cause no one else was there and i just wanted to listen to her talk. she went in by grandpa and we talked and she said that when he coughs that that is the time to talk to him cause it kinda "wakes" him up. and he coughed and he looked right at me. his eyes were greying and glassy, but
i knew he could see me. grandma started talking to him saying "Gordie kevins here. Kevin came to see you, say hi Gordie."

then she told me that he wasnt suppose to make it past noon, and the doctor said he was waiting for something or someone. "Gordie did you wait for Kevin? was he who you waited for?" then she told me that maybe he needed to hear from me that it's was ok to go home and be with his "mama" cause occassionally hed wake up and say/mummble what sounded like "i want my mumma." then hed go back to sleep.

I said "hi grandpa." smiled at him, and he cocked his half smile that he had. Grandma said she hasnt seen him smile since they first brought him in. she kept asking if he waited for me, and he smiled a little smile again. she went to the bathroom and i said thank you for waiting for me, but its time to go home grandpa. you dont have to wait anymore, you can go whenever you want.

well that was about as much as i could handle. i went to the waiting room
calmed down before i started bawling. dad came and me and him just sat next to grandpa for awhile. then we sat in the waiting room so grandma could sleep.

when we left dad out of the blue stopped and said to me that i have a good head of my shoulders, and that i grew up to be quite the young man and that he was proud of me and just wanted me to know that. then he gave me a hug, and not his usual hugs. the hug i
waited 23 years to get. the hug that said he was proud of me, proud that i was his son and a hug that shows someone you love them. i think that with
his dad dying that he wishes he could hear that from grandpa, and he realizes that maybe i needed to hear it too.

so yea after that emotional rollarcoaster ride i had to let some stuff off my chest. it sucks that it had to be said during a time when someone was dying. but i can finally say that i made my dad proud and that my dad does love me.

i love you mom and i guess that my dad learned something and i learned something so i just want to tell you that i love you, always have, and always will. and sometimes parents need to hear it too. im proud of you, im proud to say your my mom and im your son, im proud to say
that you raised me and gave me all the love i could ever need. even though we didnt have all the best stuff money could buy i have the best mom and family that anyone
could ask for.

thank you for all you have done and all you continue to do for me and just being there when i needed you and putting other stuff on hold for me.

Your son,

Kevin

1 Comments:

Blogger WI Catholic said...

Jesus has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." He also said, "Come unto me all you who weary and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" and He promised to give us Peace... not the world's peace, but His peace.


The 'Blessing' finally given to you by your Dad is answered prayer, Kev, something that I have prayed for since you were a toddler, one night long ago when you cried yourself to sleep, talking to your Daddy who was not there, and I knew I could not comfort you. Only Daddy could do that. It is with my eternal gratefulness that he has given you such a wonderful gift that so many never ever receive, because we have LONG AGO forgotten the importance of the paternal blessing on our children.

I think you have much wisdom in seeing your father's pain while receiving the blessing he gave to you. As often as I had said he loved you, and as often as I had said to him that you needed to hear it and feel that love and blessign, it is only when something happens inside of the individual that the person can respond to it.

It is a moment of Grace, Kev, that we can respond to or reject. Dad has responded, and so have you.

Hold onto this memory and know that you must pass on that Blessing to your own children when they come. To both daughters and sons, but especially to a son.

I love you, I am proud of you and your talents. God bless you!

Mom

Thursday, October 13, 2005 at 1:07:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home