Thursday, November 11, 2004

Remembering

Today has been Veteran's Day. My father did not live to see
the beginning of the WWII Memorial but then, many men and
women my age did not live to see the Vietnam War Memorial, either.
And there are many nurses of all wars who did not live to see
the Commemoration of Women in the Military.
Same with the Korean War Memorial.

But today, we remember them all.

I remember Lynne, a Vietnam nurse I worked with who helped to
get the nurses remembered at the Memorial in DC.
Post-traumatic stress affects the women, the nurses also.
Nothing made me more proud to finally see that monument!

These people are and were REAL heroes, and did not boast or
brag about their accomplishments, and earned every award
given to them, without question.

Another who HONESTLY won the Purple Heart (with three
SERIOUS injuries in one day that did HONESTLY send him Home)
is the 'Grunt Padre', Fr Vincent Capodanno. You can also find his
Medal of Honor Citation online. This man served more than a simple
four months, and he DID earn his medals, just as Audie Murphy had
done in WWII. And there were many more like them in our war history,
that did not 'earn medals' with minor injuries.... ahem, forgive me,
but I believe the Swift Boat Vets .


God bless all who served in the US Military, regardless of which branch,
including my Dad in the Army and uncles in WWII, my brothers
Dave and Bob in the Air Force and Army, my sister MB in the Army,
my nephew in the Navy currently, my godson John Preston M_____
who served in the Coast Guard after C G Academy, my young female patient
who went to the Naval Academy from Fond du Lac WI and the Marine
recruiter (also my patient), my friend's husband and a female friend (Grace)
in the Navy, and many in the National Guard back then AND today.
My friend Kathleen whose father lost a leg in Pearl Harbor, and my
former boss, and patient while working as a nurse, Willie from Hollandtown,
and all of my classmates, male and female who served our country.

May those who are no longer with us rest in Peace, and those who are
actively serving know that we pray for them and hope that they are safe.
For those who served in any war who are no longer active in the military...
I wish you Numbers 6:24-26 today and everyday,
and say thank you.

God give you His peace.

Numbers 6:24-26
The LORD bless you and keep you:
The LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.



Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home