Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Setting the record straight in the case of abusive Milwaukee priest Father Lawrence Murphy

This is written by the then Judicial Vicar himself, who was never interviewed for the NYTimes article. Sad example of 'professional' journalism from the NY Times, once again....

Setting the record straight in the case of abusive Milwaukee priest Father Lawrence Murphy

Fr. Thomas Brundage, JCL
Fr. Thomas Brundage, JCL

Then-presiding judge for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee gives first-person account of church trial

By Fr. THOMAS BRUNDAGE, JCL

For CatholicAnchor.org

To provide context to this article, I was the Judicial Vicar for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee from 1995-2003. During those years, I presided over four canonical criminal cases, one of which involved Father Lawrence Murphy. Two of the four men died during the process. God alone will judge these men.

To put some parameters on the following remarks, I am writing this article with the express knowledge and consent of Archbishop Roger Schwietz, OMI, of the Archdiocese of Anchorage, where I currently serve. Archbishop Schwietz is also the publisher of the Catholic Anchor newspaper.

I will limit my comments, because of judicial oaths I have taken as a canon lawyer and as an ecclesiastical judge. However, since my name and comments in the matter of the Father Murphy case have been liberally and often inaccurately quoted in the New York Times and in more than 100 other newspapers and on-line periodicals, I feel a freedom to tell part of the story of Father Murphy’s trial from ground zero.

Go here for the rest of his very important article:

Catholic Anchor Online » Setting the record straight in the case of abusive Milwaukee priest Father Lawrence Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home