Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Pope asks Roman Rota to encourage couples to stay married, avoid annulments

Benedict XVI has met with the judges and lawyers from the Tribunal of the Roman Rota, the Vatican tribunal that decides marriage annulments. The pope has asked to encourage couples to stay married and seek reconciliation.

The pope has also recalled the judgments of invalidity must respect the truth and justice of the facts and that they shouldnt summit to societal pressure.

In particular, he said that all marriages are valid until proven otherwise. And that marital difficulties are not reasons to seek an annulment.

Apart from the grounds of marriage annulments, the Rota is the highest court of appeal for the Holy See. It is also responsible for judging the Church directly under the pope, like bishops and superiors of religious orders.

2 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

We are soon to be subject to a 'talk' by our Chancellor (Bishop's right-hand...gal) on anullments.

I don't think there would be any point in my going except to raise my blood pressure.

Our military is not known for its strict adherence to Rome

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:29:00 AM CST  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Hi, JP!

Some have been going in order to learn what is being 'said' and 'taught' in order to be able to express their concerns to Rome.

I think I have gotten to the point where I am tired of fighting, and will just need to trust Him that somehow this mess will be cleared up. Everytime I turn around, there is another marriage breaking up.

I had a pleasant surprise at my grandbaby's Baptism, when dh approached ME, and sat down, talking for about 15 min. Blew our kids minds...;-D
Ah, well...

I am just getting tired, old, worn out. Think that it is time for younger people to take up the fight. I haven't felt the same 'fight' since a canon lawyer said my generation deserved what it got, and that his generation has given up on us... after all the prayers for good Canonists to FIGHT FOR US!!

I do, however, wonder what...'she'.. will say..and if 'she'... has also been through the annulment mill at her request...for 'healing'.

God bless, JP.. forgive my rant...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 1:48:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home