Friday, September 04, 2009

Fr Vincent Capodanno KIA Sept 4, 1967 Medal of Honor Recipient


I have written often of Fr Vincent, and today will simply remember him.

He is now Servant of God Vincent Robert Capodanno.

The official website for his canonization is here. There, you will find photos, and messages from the Grunts he loved, and helped. Some have credited him with their return to the Church, as well as healing from the effects of Vietnam.
Another tribute page can be found here...but there are many of them!

His story is written in The Grunt Padre by Fr Daniel J Mode.

Fr. Mode himself is a commissioned Navy chaplain.
The author's education includes a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy,
with advanced degrees in theology and church history.
While studying history at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary he stumbled upon
the research threads that led him to uncovering the remarkable Fr. Capodanno story.

In March, 2005, Father Daniel Mode was notified by his Naval Reserve Center in Washington, D.C that he would be mobilized (called up) for active duty as a U.S. Navy Military Chaplain. Having returned from two years in Aghanistan and witnessing the need for more frontline priests to minister to military personnel, Father Mode petitioned to be released into full time service as an AMS chaplain. Father Mode continues to serve on the BOD of CatholicMil.org while introducing a new generation of US military personnel to the heroic life of Servant of God Vincent Robert Capodanno.


Parts of his story can also be found on the
Maryknoll website.

Also from that website:

"Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." These words from St. John's Gospel describe the life—and especially the last moments—of Father Capodanno. Ordained in 1958, the missioner from Staten Island, N.Y., served in Taiwan before enlisting as a Navy chaplain during the Vietnam War. He volunteered to serve back-to-back tours on the front lines with what he called "my Marines." This decision led him to pay the ultimate price during a battle on Sept. 4, 1967, when—unarmed and in spite of his own wounds—he went to help a fallen Marine, only to be cut down by machine-gun fire. The recipient of three Purple Hearts, Capodanno was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.


Quotes of the Day taken from the home page of the website for the cause of his canonization....the quotes change as one returns to that page...

This story that Fr. Dan Mode promoted through The Grunt Padre has proved to be a strong contributing force to my joining the Navy Chaplain Corps.

Fr. Ken Carlson, Chicago Ridge
2001 Guestbook

Fr. Vincent carried no rifle. He carried a cross- a man of peace carrying God's message to distant battlefields.

Col. Gerald Turley, USMC (ret)
The Grunt Padre

He saved my life! 4 Sept 1967, Operation Swift. I was one of several that the "Grunt Padre" rescued.

Steve Lovejoy, Modesto, CA
2005 Guestbook

All of us usually fit into a mold of some sort. This man made his own mold. And every man who met him knew it.

CAPT. David J. Casazza
Coast Guard Academy chaplain; Fr. Vince's CO in Vietnam

I was a Navy Corpsman who served with the 1st Mar/Div and worked in Triage the day Fr. Capodanno came in KIA. He was a big part of our Hospital company (MASH unit) in ChuLai...coming to talk with the wounded and saying Mass when possible....He was...a real comfort to hundreds of Nam vets.

James R. Clark, Bridgeton, NJ
2001 Guestbook

I am a former Marine grunt of Mike Co 3RD PLT. I participated in the action SEPT 4, 1967. Father Capodanno brought comfort to men that would soon depart, forever, the horror of the moment. May comfort and peace be with him.

William Duran, Denver
2003 Guestbook

I served with E 2/7 in 66. Fr. Capodanno would visit our base area whenever he could. I got to know him fairly well and appreciated his Mass, Communions and Confessional. He would then talk with us- I was amazed at how he would remember all our names and seemed sincerely concerned about our wellbeing.

Cpl. Russ Sherrick USMC, ret
2003 Guestbook

As an officer in his (Fr. Capodanno's) regiment, I can personally attest to the fact that the news of his death had a more devastating impact upon the morale of the whole 1st Marine Division than the loss of many other senior combat leaders. We loved the Padre who so loved us.

Col. Gerald Turley, USMC (ret)
The Grunt Padre

I was Fr. Capodanno aide for a period of time in Vietnam with Henry Hernandez. I have a lot of memories of Fr. Capodanno...I have never met a man in my life time like Fr. Capodanno- it was like he had a aura around him. I knew during the tough times in Vietnam God was with him. I also had the same feeling when I was in action with Fr. Capodanno.

Cpl Richard L. Kilgore, Coldwa
2003 Guestbook

On Dec. 18th I was wounded severely and was med-evaced to the Chu Lai Hosp. Needles to say I was quite traumatized from the event but who was there when I awoke from the anesthesia, Father Capodanno. He stayed by my side for along time and helped lift my spirits and reassured me that I would be o.k. He then helped me draft a letter to my family. Since I was in a full body cast it would have been impossible for me to.

Cpl. Russ Sherrick USMC(ret) R
2003 Guestbook

On Easter Sunday, 1967 I was still rather boot to 2/7 (having arrived in January 1967). Fr. Capodanno flew in on a UH34 to say Mass that morning. Recalling that liturgy always brings me peace of mind.

John Short, Hampton, VA
2003 Guestbook



May he rest in peace, and may he be named Venerable, Blessed, and finally
St Vincent Robert Capodanno... soon.



SEMPER FI!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home