Thursday, April 23, 2009

American Papist: Not Your Average Catholic!: Bishop Conlon restores Friday abstinence from meat in Diocese of Steubenville

American Papist: Not Your Average Catholic!: Bishop Conlon restores Friday abstinence from meat in Diocese of Steubenville

I left a comment, and did not realize how long it was until after it posted. (Sorry AmP)

My comment:

I usually try to abstain from meat, regardless, if at all possible, and have done so for a long time. However, I also have to be VERY careful not to get into the 'going out for fish' mentality that so many Catholics in our area have always had, including before the big change was made. To me, it has always defeated the purpose of abstaining from meat--when one goes out to one's favorite eating establishment for dinner and drinks, eating shrimp, lobster, haddock, seafood platters, etc until stuffed. I used to do this without even thinking, just because it was Friday. One day it dawned on me that it was no penance at all, since I LOVE seafood. True, I also love a good steak, and had to forego the 'combo' of steak and lobster or steak and shrimp, or steak and haddock.... boy, what a hardship.

I have noted that none of the fine eating establishments that serve Fish specials, etc, around our area have ever lost any business on Fridays as a result of the change after we no longer had to abstain from meat. My mother would lament that change every Friday, saying "I wish they'd go back to no meat on Friday". I just grinned at her and said--Mom, you still go out for Fish on Fridays!!

Most people had no idea (whether never told, or forgotten) that we were supposed to substitute another penance for that day....for many, forgoing the weekly Fish Fry would be a greater sacrifice than abstaining from meat.


God bless!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

You are so right about Friday Fish Fries! One parish near my home even had a fish fry on Good Friday...I was floored! How can you both abstain from meat AND fast, at a Fish Fry? Maybe just skip dessert? It's madness I say! :)

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 10:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Hi, Kim!

Many parishes around here have their own Friday Fish Fry during Advent and Lent! lol Granted, their is no alcohol, but it is still going out for a big Fish meal, including dessert.

I had never thought of it, actually, until hearing so many people say that they wish that 'the Church' would bring back the meat abstinence on Friday. I tried to tell them that it had NOT really changed, because they had to do something else if they chose to have meat...and one day, it hit me... most who were saying this (including my Mom) WERE still going out every Friday for fish.

That's when I realized...it really is not much of any penance at all here in the US.

God bless!

Friday, April 24, 2009 at 8:04:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home