Thursday, May 01, 2008

Susan Gibbs says Catholic News Agency is not worthy of a Statement!

I was reading my CNA news email, and came to one story about the NY and DC Dioceses actions/reactions to Pelosi, Kerry, Kennedy, Dodd and Giuliani having received the Eucharist while the Pope was here in the US at the Masses in both cities.

The article ended with something that just blew me away... This woman is the Director of COMMUNICATIONS for the ARCHDIOCESE OF WASHINGTON? This is communication?

It is disdain.

It is arrogance.

But it is not communication! And supposedly, it IS her job!

When contacted for additional comment by CNA, Susan Gibbs,
Director of Communications for the Archdiocese of Washington,
said that she would not provide a statement.
The reasons she gave for not providing a statement were that she doesn't consider CNA worthy of a statement
and that she is "not interested" in providing one
.


3 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Tom Lang said...

I wrote to Susan Gibbs to express my outrage, IN THE EVENT that CNA accurately reported her comments. Here's her personal response via e-mail to me:
"CNA unfortunately did not share with you the entire story. We have had a number of experiences where CNA has printed erroneous and non-sourced information in the past, which is not consistent with standard journalistic practices.



As I told them when they called (multiple times in one hour, when I was involved with other meetings), until they could account for why false information about the archdiocese (unrelated to politicians) and other concerns were addressed, we could not help them. They actually later told me they recorded our conversation secretly. While I stand by my concerns, the recording actually was illegal and a serious ethics violation under journalistic standards. It is very difficult in today's electronic world for visitors to a website to know whether a site is legitimate and it can be a challenge to verify or correct information. For example, blogs regularly repeat and change information and a lot that is out there is wrong. That misleads people.



The editor is now trying to address some of the issues I raised, but has not fully yet. We continue to work towards a solution.



Thank you,



Susan Gibbs

Archdiocese of Washington"

Friday, May 2, 2008 at 1:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Thank you. I have posted this for fairness consideration of any who read it.

Friday, May 2, 2008 at 3:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger WI Catholic said...

Tom Lang,

I am not sure why you sent your comment to me at 1:30 PM containing her email response to you, then put a double link to my blog from yours at 5/02/2008 02:08:00 PM, and then posted her email response to you at 5/02/2008 02:27:00 PM.

Having posted her letter here earlier, there was really no reason at all to link to my blog. A simple reference to the story with the fact that you had written to her and gotten a response would have been sufficient.

You did not even give the short explanation on your blog that you gave here as a preface to her email... "to express my outrage, IN THE EVENT that CNA accurately reported her comments".

Something just does not sit well. I am not sure why.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 at 6:58:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home