Saturday, December 01, 2007

One More on The Golden Compass

Got an email last night with another link. Interesting that the Catholic has such a different perspective from so many others!

From the article:

Boston University Professor Donna Freitus is a Catholic and claims the book is completely opposite of what most think.

"It's this story of salvation and awakening to God not the death of God. It's not God at all who's dying. It's the first angel. A corrupt angel who has ruled with an iron fist," Freitus says.

She goes on to say "When children read these books, they are reading them like a child. I read the lion, witch, and wardrobe as a child. I had no idea Aslan was Jesus," says Freitus.

I don't know how she could not know who Aslan was, but then I am not sure how old she was when she read it, either. BUT, she is a 'devoted fan' of Pullman according to the Boston University's bio of her. I find it interesting to see how HER opinion of his work can be so very different from what so many others say.... So again, if you choose to see the movie, buy the books, at least be aware of the potential problems, especially if you are getting them for children.


The email from a friend:
The "Catholic" is Boston University professor Donna Freitus, who claims it is about "awakening to God, not the death of God"  Yeah, right.  One reason I won't give a plugged nickel for my kids to attend most "Catholic" colleges or universities (IF I had the money).  I'd prefer a secular one or a TRUE Catholic college/university......
 



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home