Sunday, September 17, 2006

Have YOU hugged your coach (teacher, Scout Leader) from the past today?

Yesterday, I learned something about my brother that I did not know.

I know that he has affected the lives of many young people in his nearly 55 yrs. I know he is a sports enthusiast. I know he loved playing softball. (Not only loved it, was obsessed with playing it, being on multiple teams for years.)

I know that he coached his middle child in fast pitch softball. She was a pitcher, and ended up getting scholarships to a very expensive private college here in WI as a result of the many years of basement practices, broken light bulbs, fixtures, windows, in spite of mattresses against the wall...including taking a not working well radar gun and getting it to work, using it to gauge her speed at pitching.

I know he has had clinics for fast pitch softball. I forgot that he'd helped to coach football long ago!

Where is my brother now?

In Alaska (don't ask me where) being treated to a ten day ALL expense paid vacation (apparently told to bring a toothbrush and two changes of clothing...one to be washed, one to be worn, they supply the toothpaste...). How did he get there? He and another coach were invited by one young man who has been successful in life (and invented something used all over the banking world, apparently) ... who now has multiple homes, multiple vehicles, etc. And in gratitude for helping him out when life was tough on him, he invited them to fish in Alaska.

Question:

Have you hugged your coach today? Your Scout leader? A teacher who went above and beyond and lifted you up when you were down? It doesn't really take an all-expense paid trip to Alaska to do so. A note, a call, a word can do the same thing.

To Mrs Derricks, Sr Grace, and to my many teachers who touched my life (most are now gone Home)... thank you. Mrs Siebers (work), Peg Olson (work) and so many nurses, instructors that I worked with (also so many have gone Home).... thank you.

Pat R, social worker who helped us in our adoptions... thank you!

God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home