Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Soup

Yesterday, I went to the store and got the needed ingredients to make one of my soups.

I LOVE soup. I make good soup, too. Comes from making it for a large family, and then my own family over the past many years....

My kids love them. I have no real recipe, just go by what I have and what I want at the moment. But I had no veggies left. I had a big soup bone for beef broth, so that is what I made.

It literally takes me all day to make soup, because I simmer that bone/meat/onions for HOURS. Sometimes overnight. And I seldom use any canned vegetables (occasionally green beans and /or corn). Tomatoes.... or tomato soup or juice is probably the only 'always canned' part of my soup....Sometimes I put in rutabaga and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I put in some cabbage, sometimes I don't. I always have a 'base' of celery, tons of onions, some potatoes and carrots. Also occasionally put in turnip and parsnips.

Some marjoram, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, pepper... what ever I have handy in that line...

Sometimes I use beef, sometimes chicken, occasionally ham bone (only for pea or navy bean soup) or ... for awhile, turkey bones.... though that is NOT my favorite!

But I have never mastered the 'SMALL' amount.

No matter how hard I try, my 12 qt pan ends up full.

I love my soup. My kids love my soup. And now, THEIR kids love my soup!

If I have not seen them for awhile, and I have made a new batch...all I have to do is tell one, and the word spreads. They come with or without bowls to take some home.

I have not called them just yet... but if I don't call soon... I will be eating soup for the next seven days, morningnoonandnight..... sort of takes the joy out of it, ya know?



Sort of like Love. Real Love. Committment Love. Choice love. Lay down your life for another love.... not sexual, infatuation luv... Real Love....the love that says "I want you in Heaven" love...

The more you have, the more you need to give some away....or it sort of takes the JOY out of it, ya know?

I think I'll call my kids .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home